[kictanet] Uganda Deal for Up to 300, 000 Laptops to Aid Civil Services

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:43:45 EAT 2008

.........Learning from our neighbors ???

Uganda Deal for Up to 300,000 Laptops to Aid Civil Services

By Edris Kisambira
April 23, 2008 — IDG News Service —

An agreement with an international joint venture to supply up to
300,000 laptops mainly to civil-service employees will help the
Ugandan government make its workers more efficient and facilitate the
delivery of services, officials say.

The venture, Tropix/Founder Computer Co., has supplied a first batch
of 3,000 laptops to the Civil and Corporate Employees Computer
Ownership Programme (CICOCO), a US$106 million project intended to
help the government jump-start its e-government program.

The thinking behind the laptop project, according to government
officials, is to get the civil service as competitive in the delivery
of services as private sector. The adoption of ICT is expected to
change the way government officials handle public affairs and speed
service delivery.

"I think the civil service will be improved greatly now that we will
be able to continue with our work even when we are not in the formal
office environment," said David Arinaitwe, a spokesman for the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"I think that on a larger scale, it is going to change the way the
civil service works government will work better, more transparent,
and [it] reduces cost providing services," Arinaitwe said.

Tropix/Founder is a joint venture involving investors from the U.S.,
Australia and China, with the laptops themselves manufactured in
China. Uganda's ICT Ministry is monitoring the project, which is
funded by the Chinese government through grants from a Chinese
development bank, Exim.

Each laptop will cost $699 through a loan scheme from a local bank,
Stanbic Bank. The bank will offer loans for the purchase of the
laptops in repayment packages over 12 months, 24 months or 36 months.
A special 48-month package will be reserved exclusively for civil
servants who hold accounts with Stanbic Bank.

The computers come with a 120G-byte SATA hard disk; 1G byte of RAM; a
14.1-inch WXGA LCD screen; and a 1.6GHz Pentium dual-core T2330
processor. They also come with a DVD writer, USB ports, integrated
graphics, wireless Internet card, independent web camera, a TV card
and the home edition of Windows XP operating system, among other
specifications.

Civil servants' children can also purchase the computers under the
same arrangements, but need approval from their parents.

The government also plans to pursue a computer scheme for students in
the next phase of its e-government program. Such a scheme will be
aimed at covering the needs of students from secondary school-level
to university.

The laptops are part of a public-sector reform program created to
improve delivery of services, according to Nicholas Sunday Olwor, the
senior assistant secretary to the minister of state for ICT.

--- End forwarded message ---

 __