[kictanet] ICT Authority?

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Tue Apr 22 21:08:56 EAT 2008

You are right Harry. All these bodies should be brought under an
umbrella Authority. Yet another function that could fall under
the Authority
would be one regulating ICT educational and training standards,
certification and professionalism. This is an area the Government
is not
taking seriously and it is not clear which Ministry to deal with
at the
moment. An ICT Authority may be better placed to actualize this
by
bringing together the stakeholders and various Ministries such as
education, Infocom, labour,
Science & Tech, etc. We need to have in mind that we have big ICT
plans for the country and these can only be achieved by having
proper and structured capacity
building and professionalism. (KEPSA is  advocating for enactment
of IT Practioners
Management Act).

If you are interested, you can become acquainted with the KEPSA
proposals by clicking [1]here.

Waudo
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:02:26 +0300, [2]"Harry Hare"
<harry at africanedevelopment.org> said:
> Dear Walu and Waudo,
>
> You may all be right in your positions, but structurally
speaking, all
> the
> agencies mentioned by Waudo ought to be under one
administrative unit for
> effective management of the sector. Here I have in mind an ICT
Authority,
> with functional boards/departments/agencies whatever we may
want to call
> them, that may include;
>
> - GITS - Government ICT Implementation and Technical Support
function
> - eGov - eGov Policy and Strategic function
> - ICT Board - Marketing and Promotion function
> - CCK  - Regulatory function
> - NCS - National ICT Policy Advisory function
>
> Of course the mandate, functions and the legality of the
institutions may
> have to be revisited and probably aligned and sharpened for
effective
> operations. So the proposed authority can be used to converge
the sector
> for
> and building synergies across the said institutions for
effective
> management
> and service delivery.
>
> Regards
> Harry
>
> African eDevelopment Resource Centre
> 3rd Floor, Nelleon Place
> Raphta Road, Westlands
> PO Box 49475 00100
> Nairobi, Kenya
> Cel +254 725 650044
> Land +254 20 4453445
> www.africanedevelopment.org
> My Blogg

> April/May 2008 Training Opportunities
>
> GIS 16-18 April
> Records Management 28-30 April
> Web Applications Security 28-30 April
> Certified Fiber Optic Technician 6-9 May
> e-Marketing 27-30 May
>
> Book Now, Limited spaces available

[3]kictanet-bounces+harry=africanedevelopment.org at lists.kictanet.
or.ke