[kictanet] animated indicators: how we were then, how we are now...

saidimu apale saidimu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:09:17 EAT 2008

[My apologies for cross-posting.]

http://www.gapminder.org/world

A useful site loaded with statistical and historical data about the
development of the countries of the world.

A few things to try out:

- visually compare growth trends between Africa and the rest of the
world, in particular S.E Asia

- narrow down to Kenya's stats: visualize growth/shrinkage trends for
some key indicators: for this list, probably: income per person, urban
pop. as a % of total pop., female labour force, mobile phone + internet
per 100 people, primary school completion of boys + girls etc etc

- play around with the X- and Y- axes, plot the data against each other,
and against time. Then correlate with significant events in Kenya's
history.

What stood out for me (caveat: I'm no economist/statistician)

1) the number of medical doctors per 1,000 people has pretty much stayed
constant since independence

2) where are the youth in Kenya? (the number of children and elderly per
100 is still quite high. Compare with Japan's figures - they have the
opposite problem).

3) (female labor force as a % of total) vs (income per person): female
workforce has been declining while income p.p has been more or less the
same.

4) ... a lot more for your slicing and dicing.

Regards,

saidi