[kictanet] Swedish start-up TerraNet claims peer-to-peer mobile will increase phone penetration in developing countries

alice alice at apc.org
Fri Apr 11 20:28:58 EAT 2008

        Swedish start-up TerraNet claims peer-to-peer mobile will
        increase phone penetration in developing countries

Swedish start-up TerraNet has revealed further detail of its
‘peer-to-peer’ mobile phone technology that it claims could play a big
role in increasing phone penetration in developing countries.

According to TerraNet CEO and founder, Anders Carlius the company is
working on what he calls ‘ad hoc’ networking Terranet’s peer-to-peer
technology turns each handset into a switching node, passing on calls
from other handsets within a 1 kilometre range. Each handset can
simultaneously transit 7 calls and each call can make 7 hops before the
switching delay starts to make conversation difficult.

This peer-to-peer hopping communications has been done before in
military applications, although expensively, and in the Tetra emergency
communications system, but this is the first time anyone has tackled the
mass market in this way.

But isn’t the seven kilometre limit a real drawback? “It only seems so
because we, us rich people in the west, are all used to zooming around
the country or around the world. The other 4 billion don’t travel more
than a few kilometres in a typical working day”. And most of the people
they know spend all their time within the those few kilometers too.”

Carlius is concerned to overcome the barrier to phone use from
illiteracy. “I remember talking to a Pakistani telco who told me there
was no way he could ever get beyond 40% penetration,” said Carlius.
“‘Never? I asked.’ No,’ he said, ‘because 60% of our population is
illiterate and innumerate and they therefore can’t use a phone.’ And he
was right,” says Carlius. “If you think about it you can’t use a phone
if you can’t read or manipulate numbers.”

So Carlius’s next rethink was around the three button phone concept. An
ad hoc networking phone might use people’s pictures instead of their
names and numbers, he says. But perhaps the most important, and most
re-thought, part of the model is Carlius’s ideas around distribution.
Instead of a telecom network, TerraNet (or whoever had licensed the
technology) would build a network of agents to push the phones, collect
the monies and, most important, load up the appropriate photos for the
illiterate customers.

The technology still has to journey into final product. Journalists were
shown a large circuit board working prototype but TerraNet says it has
advance orders and expects to be manufacturing in bulk soonish.
(Source: TelecomTV)