[kictanet] Fwd: SV: [AfrISPA.Discuss] Undersea cable plantangled in acrimony inSouth Africa

Brian Longwe brian at isisweb.nl
Fri Sep 14 12:08:10 EAT 2007

The bottom line - and the truth is that SA controls about 70% of
SAT-3 - a cable that has had almost zero impact on the West African
seaboard.

Why is internet bandwidth in Nigeria more expensive than satellite
bandwidth? Because of Telkom SA
Why do many of the sea-facing countries on the West African coast not
have broadband that is similar levels of cost to other parts of the
world where there is submarine fibre? Because of Telkom SA.

Why is the situation like that? Why does Telkom SA have that kind of
stranglehold? Because of a very corrupt American Telco called SSB -
that "owned" Telkom SA at the time when these contracts/arrangements
were being put in place.....

There is a lot of history behind that scenario....

What SA's foreign minister just did is create a trade barrier - let's
see how long she survives - she has dug a hole that I think she won't
be able to get out of this time...

Mblayo