[kictanet] Fwd: SV: [AfrISPA.Discuss] Undersea cable plan tangled in acrimony inSouth Africa

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Sep 12 14:44:51 EAT 2007

I used to have a difficult time explaining to fellow Kenyans that it was
very difficult dealing with our brothers in SA because at every meeting
goal posts kept on shifting.  Perharps now everybody understands that the
veto power in the NEPAD protocol was a control tool.  Below please find
additional material.

Ndemo.

Cables require local ownership BY DAMARIA SENNE & CHRISTELLE DU TOIT
<mailto:damaria at itweb.co.za> [ Johannesburg, 10 September 2007 ]

South Africa requires that all undersea cables landing here be majority
owned by South Africans, says communications Minister Ivy
Matsepe-Casaburri.

Speaking at the Southern African Telecommunications Networks and
Applications Conference (Satnac) 2007, in Mauritius, this morning,
Matsepe-Casaburri said government was happy with indications that
investors plan to land cables in the country.
However, she will soon announce new landing guidelines that require that
“all cables “ landing in SA be majority owned by South Africans, she said.

The guidelines will also be consistent with SA's foreign policy and take
the security of the country, and the African continent, into
consideration, she said.
"Every cable landing or leaving SA should incorporate in it the Nepad [New
Partnership for Africa's Development] Broadband Infrastructure Network."
Security measures are important, given the state of our insecure world,
she added.

Matsepe-Casaburri said that she instructed Dep.of Communications
Dir-General Lyndall Shope-Mafole to propose the landing guidelines to the
Interim Inter-Governmental Assembly for discussion. She also noted that
her department studied the communications regulations of other countries
when drafting the landing guidelines, ensuring they are consistent with
international trends.

Determination expected
BMI-TechKnowledge senior analyst Richard Hurst says the implications of
the ownership stipulations are that “those who do end up rolling out
cables will have to do so via partnerships”. He cites Seacom and Neotel's
interaction as an example of this, where “Neotel basically would control
the landing rights of Seacom in SA”.
According to Hurst, “government is trying to hedge its bets”, but the
stipulations set out by the minister have generally been expected. He says
South African companies should benefit from the directives, as should the
consumer.
“It should open up access to those cables and bring prices down.” He adds
that, as the international community moves towards always-on broadband, SA
will also increasingly need high-speed capacity. However he reiterates:
“The more bandwidth we have, the better.”

Investor support
Meanwhile, Matsepe-Casaburri said SA was convinced it was on the right
path to break away from the Eassy (Eastern Africa Submarine Cable System)
cable project and support the Nepad Broadband Infrastructure Network, as
well as initiating its own undersea cable systems.

She said there was strong support from potential investors in the Nepad
Broadband  (?) Infrastructure Network. "Instead of people running away
from us, we have a lot of support from investors."
SA and other African governments broke away from the Eassy project because
larger operators taking part in the initiative bought such large
quantities of capacity that there would never be fair access for smaller
operators, she noted.

EASSY project was not in line with the Nepad objective, which was to
facilitate fair and open access for all telecoms providers to lower the
cost of telecoms on the continent, she said. She noted that SA's
Parliament had ratified the Nepad Broadband Infrastructure Network
protocol.

> [...]
>> out on
>> the non-open conditions?
>>
>> The alternatives to EASSy now visible, funded by pure commercial
>> capital
>> like SEACOM, makes it even more questionable to give soft funds to any
>> set-up having questionable market development properties. Rather, it
>> reinforces the need to justify any support by such funds with even
>> MORE
>> arguments on the project openness and development leverage.
>>
>> Both EASSy and SEACOM seem to have a hard time in RSA as long as
>> they are
>> not clearly controlled by local interests.
>>
>> Both seem up for a hard choice in RSA:
>> Give in, as little as possibly, but the control must be in RSA hands
>> Pass RSA in an immediate implementation of the rest of the system, or
>> Delay the whole thing, waiting for RSA to blink in fear of being
>> left out.
>>
>> Other EA stakeholders need to consider what situation they like to
>> promote
>> for any cable project in the above respect. Don't just ask the cable
>> projects to carry the burden of dealing with this political risk
>> all by
>> themselves, later blaming them for whatever compromise they make! A
>> risk now
>> being the main obstacle between the current deficit and a state-of-
>> the art,
>> reasonably priced cable connection for SSA to RoW.
>>
>> The worst alternative for RSA operators is probably a combination
>> of an
>> early East-West SSA link (EA to Angola or Nigeria?) with two new
>> terrestrial
>> and/or submarine links north to the Mediterranean from EA. All the
>> current
>> transit traffic from RSA neighbours to SAT-3 will then disappear in
>> a flash.
>> Instead, RSA may be faced with not only a very limited interest
>> from others
>> to consider an EA submarine cable south, but a desire to making RSA
>> operators subject to a similar transit pricing practice that Telkom
>> SA has
>> up to now offered its neighbours in connecting to SAT-3.
>> Considering the
>> profits in the closed RSA market such a scenario may, however,
>> still be a
>> good alternative to some players in that local market as it may
>> delay the
>> tide by another year or two.
>>
>> The frustration over the EA development lag by the delay in cable
>> implementation is causing a lot of impatient folks to say that "the
>> only
>> important thing is that a sub marine cable gets built". That is
>> understandable but dangerous. Remember SAT-3.
>>
>> Dispatched over an industry standard 100Mb/s connection to the home,
>> commonly available for a couple of Big Macs/month in an open,

>>> companies. The minimum percentage of local ownership will be