[kictanet] [Fibre-for-africa] RE: The tables are turned

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Fri Oct 26 10:00:46 EAT 2007

Dear Alex,

How does the Act deal with competition regulation, Monopolies and
price control, may be pointing me to those section of the Act would
be useful or giving a URL or just pasting below?

Thanks

On 26 Oct 2007, at 12:28, Alex Gakuru wrote:

> Yes! Fierce (Consumer) Fairness Freedom fighter is
> part of my name;-)
>
> To be fair, there is nothing unusual about disputes in
> the sector. The law establishing CCK expected them and
> so also established the Appeals Tribunal under Section
> 102 of KCA 1998.
>
> Regarding competition, there is Restrictive Trade
> Practices, Monopolies and Price Control Act, Cap 504,
> Laws of Kenya whose citation reads"An Act of
> parliament to encourage competition in the economy by
> prohibiting restrictive trade practices, controlling
> monopolies, concentrations of economic power and
> prices and for connected purposes"
>
> One may question the "ADEQUACY"of the Act to deal with
> today's ICT competition challenges which the drafters
> then could not have reasonably foreseen. However at
> the moment it is the only piece of competition
> legislation to rely on in that area.
>
> Better get back to talking IT now... Have you read
> ICANN IPv6 Factsheet?
>
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/factsheet-ipv6-26oct07.pdf
> or
> http://pdfdownload.tsone.info/pdf2html.php?url=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fwww.icann.org%2Fannouncements%2Ffactsheet-
> ipv6-26oct07.pdf&images=yes
>
> In Kenya, only Swift Global and KeNIC are on IPv6...
> Bad news there and I am shift gear to enange ISPs...
> ;)
>

> --- Eric Osiakwan <eric at afrispa.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Alex,
>>
>> Thanks for the enlightenment, your submission below
>> together with the
>> pointers have being light.
>>
>> However, i think though we would like MJ to give us
>> some more
>> information i would like us to respect his right not
>> to discuss such
>> corporate matter if his company's policy does not
>> allow him or the
>> rules of engagement does not. This is not to say TK
>> puttingt he
>> information in the public domain is right or wrong
>> but we have short
>> supply of details on the processes that have lead to
>> this.
>>
>> Haven said that i think MJ and his enterprise also
>> knows the
>> implications of not doing so but i think the
>> ultimate outcome we all
>> want apart from the intellectual excercise, is for
>> such corporate
>> commercial issues to be resolved best and to the
>> advantage of we the
>> consumers so over to you, Safaricom and TK.
>>
>> Eric here
>>

>> On 25 Oct 2007, at 21:47, Alex Gakuru wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Unless containing illegalities or infringing on
>>> others' rights, I believe the Law of Contact gives
>>> agreements between qualified persons more weight
>> than
>>> regulatory intervention or government policy for
>> that
>>> matter. Regulatory intervention steps in when the
> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"