[kictanet] [Fibre-for-africa] RE: The tables are turned

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 21:47:30 EAT 2007

Hi Eric,

Unless containing illegalities or infringing on
others' rights, I believe the Law of Contact gives
agreements between qualified persons more weight than
regulatory intervention or government policy for that
matter. Regulatory intervention steps in when the
parties cannot agree among themselves first and where
the regulator cannot resolve a matter, then Supreme
courts step in and pick it from there.

CCK helps resolve long-standing complaints or disputes
only after several direct resolution attempts and,
with respect to consumers, explores ways of assisting
consumers that opt for litigation.
http://www.cck.go.ke/consumer_center/

Business people know that by the time they leave court
rooms, they are forced to bask quite of their torn
underclothing in the open hence their preference to
seek low-key "quieter" regulator and arbitrators to
resolve their business competition kerfuffles.

Although I am yet to know where they are located (read
FOI),the government recently announced the formation
of an Office of Ombudsman (DAILY NATION 22/06/2007)
"to deal with public complaints" for alternative
dispute resolution - heralded as "an administrative
move by the President that is purely geared towards
addressing issues that have bedeviled Kenyans without
nowhere to turn to" by a member of our consumer
network.

Back to the issue at hand...

When disputants involve third parties, and the public
through media, obviously a deadlock or stalemate was
encountered somewhere breaking down their conflict
management process. Therefore, I find it inappropriate
to agree with Micheal Joseph and Peter on hushing up a
matter already in the public domain, unless they agree
and inform the public that they have both agreed to
resolve the issue through mutually agreed arbitration
and the choice of the arbitrator must not (or even be
seen to) be biased.

When Edith asked Michael Joseph to enlighten us on
those other issues, he said wished not to discuss in
view of (print) media rather his proffered arbitrator
and not burden regulator with the dispute. To me this
raises a concern whether his preferred arbitrator
could be considered unbiased or neutral considering
that the matter had reached the regulator height. He
appeared to advocate “reverse-driving”  and without
shedding light on the compelling ahead obstacle
necessitating this action.

Add to all of this mix blaming of the media
circumstances become even more suspect. If one has
nothing to hide in *any* dispute why shut out and
blame the media for printing the smoke (above the
fires).
Perhaps you understand why I appreciate professional
journalist predicaments.

<snip>
Those who equate journalism with such licensable
professions as law and medicine misunderstand the
nature of journalism. Journalism is founded on freedom
of expression. It is also an open book. There is no
need for licensing.

Every day is a licensing day for journalists because
they cannot hide their mistakes. There is an old
saying: "Doctors bury their mistakes, lawyers hang
them, but journalists put theirs on the front page."
http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry.asp?premiumid=0&category_id=25&newsid=99397
<snip>

Either MJ enlightens us on undercurrents information
supporting his arguments or they agree to agree or
disagree through the press and what they intend to do
next... But meanwhile, are all entitled to speculate
on all sorts of most imaginative conspiracy theories.

I suspect I did not rescue you Eric, but I hope this
adds something?

Alex

kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke

=== message truncated ===>