[kictanet] Fwd: Conncet Africa, was Re: SV: [Fibre-for-africa] Connectivity: What does Africa really need?

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Fri Oct 19 09:07:27 EAT 2007

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Shem Ochuodho <shemochuodho at yahoo.com>
> Date: 19 October 2007 07:34:09 GMT+03:00
> To: anriette at apc.org, APC - Private list for use by EASSY Workshop
> Participants <fibre-for-africa at lists.apc.org>
> Subject: Re: Conncet Africa, was Re: SV: [Fibre-for-africa]
> Connectivity: What does Africa really need?
> <fibre-for-africa at lists.apc.org>
>
> Yes, Anders raise very pertinent points (in typical style!).
>
> I plan to be there. I was privileged to attend one of the technical
> planning meetings in Addis. One of the strong targets being
> recommended by the techies is "Broadband Connectivity to all
> capitals and other major cities by 2012". The 'how-to' part of it
> is still weak, and this is where Anders' proposal for a Broadband
> Infrastructure Development fund comes in handy. Just note that
> already there are at least: NEPAD Pan-African Infrastructure Devpt
> Fund (understandably with billions of US$ already in it - thanks to
> SA Pensions Funds) , COMESA Infrastructure Devpt Fund, East Africa
> Infrastructure Devpt Fund (proposed), Digital Solidarity Fund, and
> am sure there could be several others. Licensing fees, or even
> better annual universal service/access contributions could be a
> good sustainable entry entry point.
>
> Warmest rgrds.
> Shem, Nairobi
>
> Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:
> Very good arguments. And certainly a position we should
> be advocating for at the upcoming Connect Africa
> Summit.
>
> Who on this will will be there?
>
> Anriette
>

> From: "waudo siganga"
>
> To: "APC - Private list for use by EASSY
> Workshop Participants" ,
> "'APC - Private list for use by EASSY
> Workshop Participants'"
> Subject: Re: SV: [Fibre-for-africa] Connectivity: What
> does Africa really need?
> Date sent: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:25:05 +0300
> Send reply to: APC - Private list for use by EASSY
> Workshop Participants

> request at lists.apc.org?subject=subscribe>
>
> > Good arguments from Anders - Waudo
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:26:53 +0200, "Anders Comstedt"
> > said:
> > > Dear Wakabi and others
> > >
> > > Isn't it difficult to ask for a Marshall plan and at the same time
> > > see how the sector and, above all, its users are financially
> > > drained?
> > >
> > > PROFITABLE TELECOMS
> > > Surprisingly there are higher profit margins in most of the
> business
> > > that the mobile phone operators have in Africa, including or
> > > excluding the licence fees, comparing to counterparts in more open
> > > and competitive markets. How is that? Why is competition
> restricted
> > > and prices not coming down, in particular considering the low
> > > purchase power of the users? Some people obviously don't want to
> > > change the ball game.
> > >
> > > The combined sector revenues to governments and shareholders
> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"