[kictanet] Celtel signs text message deal with Telkom-K

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 08:29:45 EAT 2007

[Any chance Celtel could demonstrate their SMS
service]

Story by NATION Correspondent
Publication Date: 11/27/2007

Celtel Kenya has signed an SMS interconnection
agreement with Telkom Kenya that allows the latter’s
wireless customers to access the former’s network via
a short message service.

Previously, the interconnection agreement covered
voice calls only. Further, Celtel said it would extend
interconnection to the Internet service providers
(ISPs) to use Celtel’s platform for the Voice Over
Internet Protocol (VOIP).

“We are proud to open our platform with Telkom and the
ISPs as we seek to extend the benefits of the widest
coverage to all Kenyans,” said Celtel corporate and
regulatory affairs manager, Ms Clare Ruto. Last week,
Celtel announced the extension of the One Network to
six more African countries bringing the total to 12.

<http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry.asp?category_id=3&newsid=111400>