[kictanet] Faith in local web hosting

badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Mon Nov 26 19:41:41 EAT 2007

The hosting issue also depends on the intended market\ audience.  Why
host a site locally which will have 80% of it's visitors coming from
europe or the US.  This will put low paying traffic on your expensive
link.  If the content is local and meant for local access then it makes
sense to host it locally though again here you have the unreasonable
local hosting charges that one compares with the $ 3.99 per month on
some site in the US.  If you think with your pocket and have the means
to pay you will take the $3.99 deal against the local deal.

The problem being here that if i do this it is ultimately the service
provider who has the link and also the high hosting rates who surfers by
delivering what could have been local content via the expensive link for
a nominal benefit.

I'm surprised that hosting companies do not have access to the KIXP.  In
UG though we are yet to have hosting companies asking for access the
UIXP has a fully open door policy you just have to meet the IP
requirements which are a registered block of IP's and a BGP capable
router.    Anyone should be able to peer, though what happens when you
do that is that the incumbents and this time i mean all existing ISP's
who peer will adjust their pricing to enable hosting companies to
co-locate.  Thus market forces will invetably come into play.

It might be here that KIXP policys are contibuting to local high hosting
costs.  I might be wrong and stand to be corrected.

regards