[kictanet] FW: [ke-internetusers] ICT Board's accreditation of BPO Society

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Tue Nov 13 16:22:57 EAT 2007

Apologies for cross-posting.

Harry

  _____

From: ke-internetusers-bounces at bdix.net
[mailto:ke-internetusers-bounces at bdix.net] On Behalf Of robert yawe
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 11:37 PM
To: Internet user group
Subject: [ke-internetusers] ICT Board's accreditation of BPO Society

This morning I attended a breakfast meeting hosted by the newly appointed
ICT Board but which turned out to be a flag waving event for some private
club called the BPO Society.

It is interesting what happens when you pick private sector people and give
them the mandate to run a public institution.  Last time I checked single
sourcing for government services can only be done after requesting exemption
from the Ministry of Finance, but I stand corrected.

The ICT Board has unilaterally appointed the BPO Society as the only bona
fide forwarder of licensing applications for  any BPO business, under which
gazette notice was this status issued?  It is interesting how a state agency
can send me to pay a private club (Kes. 35,000/-) for them to forward my
application to set up a business.  Even at the height of bureaucracy
institutions like the Chamber of Commerce never had such powers, so where
does the ICT Board get the authority to single source for a vetting agency?

The answer to the whole issue came out in a subtle manner on one of the
slides US$ 11.4 Million (Kes. 0.75 Billion) for capacity building of the BPO
industry. Somebody seriously needs to monitor this new private sector dream
teams.

This are the acts that stifle young industries, I think to grow the BPO
business in this country we need to have the government look the other way
to let entrepreneurs do what they have to do like the council did with the
issue of private garbage collectors and CCK with courier service providers.
Let legislation follow ingenuity & creativity, the other way just doesn't
work.

Robert Yawe

  _____

Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try
<http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEydmViNG02BF9TAzIxMTQ3MTcxOTAEc2VjA
21haWwEc2xrA3RhZ2xpbmU>  it now.