[kictanet] Holding our Leaders Accountable

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:42:12 EAT 2007

Chelimo,

The future is ICT and ICT is the future....its not something that you pray
it goes away........Is it too difficult to be humble/open minded to  say 'Am
not all that knowledgeable,in this arena,but I would be more confortable
with a discussion,since we are both going to be learning from each
other,than an interview!!'
In the next 7 months,one of these guys is gonig to be the President of
Kenya....so as the ICT sector, what are we looking at in the next 5 years,if
they do not want to mention it or as U said its not of importance?

Kind Regards,

On 5/24/07, chelimo kenneth <chelimoken at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Everybody seems to be bashing the politicians without putting into
> cognizance their (politicans) work schedule. Their diaries are very
> unpredictable and most of them would give preference to issues or functions
> which could attract votes or popularity. ICT in my view is not a vote
> attracting subject under a debate in Kenya as of now.  Remember government
> is yet to extend ICTs to rural areas and other disadvanatged places like
> slums.The reason is simple given the number of people who are ICT literate
> or compliant in such areas. Most votes are in rural areas and slums where
> people have no iota of  knowledge in  ICT.  Unless ICT is popularised first
> in  these areas and make  people ask their leaders including  presidential
> aspirants about their blueprints on ICT, you will just be wasting your time
> trying to attract political leaders  for an ICT debate. After all  over 90
> per cent of  current legislators either have very basic or no knowledge of
> ICT after all. Good day
>
> Ken Chelimo
> National Coordinator
> Kenya Network of Telecentres
>
> *Brian Longwe <brian at isisweb.nl>* wrote:
>
> My personal view is somewhat closer to Harry's. I think that it is
> unproffessional, patronising and disrespectful to confirm
> participation at an event of such stature - and then not show up.
>
> It is more an issue of holding them accountable as opposed to
> expecting any brilliant and illuminating ideas on how to advance the
> ICT sector. As mentioned in another discussion it would have been
> excellent and would have earned lots of mileage if one or some or all
> had come and simply said "we don't know what needs to be done with
> ICT, can you tell us?" That would have earned them no end of
> admiration and respect.
>
> But now they have earned the fury of a spurned ICT sector. Let them pay!
>
> Brian
>

> On May 21, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Harry Hare wrote:
>
> > Why are we creating excuses for our so called political leaders for
> > not
> > showing up for an activity they had all confirmed to attend? They are
> > embarrass themselves in front of cameras everyday and deny it the
> > next day,
> > why is this different this time?
> >
> > Lets do it, lets do it right...no velvet gloves please!
> >
> > Harry

Judy Ann Okite,
+254-721237507,+254-734252336
P.O. BOX 2228 00100,
NAIROBI,KENYA.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just
sit there."