[kictanet] How the ODM presidential hopefuls 'answered' quiz

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:32:43 EAT 2007

[Daily Nation]

Story by MACHARIA GAITHO
Publication Date: 2007/05/22

<snip>

THOSE RUNNING, OR pretending to run, on an ODM-Kenya presidential ticket are
having to return application forms with answers to a very interesting quiz.

I suspect the quiz was designed by an enemy of the party. For if the
aspirants were to be rated on how they have answered the questions, then the
whole lot and caboodle of them will be disqualified.

The questionnaire has a lot of trick questions, designed to catch all the
applicants off-guard. Some of them have expressed fear that the
questionnaire is designed to favour one candidate. They have also wondered
whether being allowed to vie for the nomination will hinge on how
satisfactorily they have responded to the queries.

And, as is well known, they are concerned about how the questionnaire will
be assessed and by whom, all linked again, to the fears, that the party
secretariat and the so-called Council of Elders are organs serving one
candidate who has virtually declared victory.

One item that really irks them is where they are supposed to outline the
role they played in the fight for the second liberation. But what they are
not seeing is that the questionnaire is not just about the second
liberation, but also about germane issues such as commitment to democracy
and human rights.

I repeat, below, some of the questions in the quiz and how I imagine they
have been answered:

Provide evidence of your performance promoting democracy, human rights,
people's rights and the Second Liberation.

RAILA ODINGA: I was in at the very beginning when my rivals were still
learning to walk. The 1982 military coup attempt speaks for itself.

KALONZO MUSYOKA: I faithfully served the Moi regime in resisting attempts to
subvert democracy .

UHURU KENYATTA: I learnt to respect democracy under the feet of the Father
of the Nation, and his successor.

WILLIAM RUTO: I was still in school when all these things were happening.
And when I came of age, I democratised Kanu from within.

MUSALIA MUDAVADI: I faithfully served the Moi regime in resisting attempts
to subvert democracy.

Have you ever been convicted in a court of law on a criminal offence?

RAILA: No. My 1983 treason case was withdrawn. But I hold the record for the
longest stints in detention without trial.

KALONZO: No. But that little matter of the 1991 High Court finding that a
land case my law firm was involved in amounted to fraud was dredged out of
old files by Mr Odinga's dirty tricks campaign squad.

UHURU: No. And all the land my family holds was legitimately acquired. We
have been accused, but never convicted, of land-grabbing.

RUTO: No. The court case I am presently facing is politically motivated. So
are all those unfounded allegations in the Ndung'u report.

MUSALIA: No. I was Finance minister during part of the Goldenberg scandal,
but I was not personally culpable. I have been cleared by the courts.

Have you ever been declared bankrupt?

RAILA: Me? the owner of a Sh40 million Hummer and the Kisumu Molasses plant?

KALONZO: No. I served in the Moi Cabinet from the mid-1980s.

UHURU: Bankrupt? The son of Jomo?

RUTO: No. I was in YK '92.

MUSALIA: No. I was Moi's Finance minister.

Would you describe yourself as a corruption free leader committed to
achieving a corruption free Kenya?

RAILA : Pass

KALONZO : Pass

UHURU: Pass