[kictanet] Media Bill

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Fri May 18 19:42:48 EAT 2007

I stand with Dorcas on the media issue.

What the media is saying is like Paul Wolfowitz insisting that he should from now on be allowed to "self-regulate" ;-) so that he can effectively police corruption in developing countries (as he had promised when he was appointed).

Laws/rules should not scare our fellow Kenyans in the media unless they know they will soon cross a line they should not. We saw it with the 'matatu' industry that was a law unto themselves ("self-regulating") until order was forced on them by the government.

Our media has already failed to play the role of a conscience for our society. When our conscience is dead, the law has to be put to effect to guide us.

---
Wainaina Mungai