[kictanet] Media Bill

Kanja Waruru kanjawaruru at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 17:48:36 EAT 2007

Alice,
In brief, the Bill seeks to establish
a Media Council of Kenya and a Media Advisory Board to
regulate journalist, enforce a code of conduct and
manage a complaints committee.

The Media Owners Association has been campaigning
against establishment of statutory media regulation to
replace the existing self-regulation mechanism.

On Thursday 17th May the MOA issued a press statement
to make their two points clear to the govt..

1, MOA rejects the Media Bill 2007.

2, We have our own Bill which we would be happy to
replace with the govt Bill.

Will keep you posted on that.
Kanja