[kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability- CCKInternetStudyReport

Michael Joseph MJoseph at Safaricom.co.ke
Fri May 11 10:56:27 EAT 2007

It is worth noting at this junction that pricing is not the only factor
but service delivery, reliability, availability and, in general,
industry standard SLAs that will encourage operators to lease more
capacity.

As operators we will need more and more transmission capacity both
within and outside the country and therefore are looking seriously at
all the various proposals that are on the table. Therefore we are
looking forward to reviewing the detailed plans for the Regional Fiber
Optic network, including dates or termination points, pricing etc so
that we may plan accordingly.

Michael

CEO
Safaricom Limited

-----Original Message-----
From: kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at kictanet.or.ke
[mailto:kictanet-bounces+mjoseph=safaricom.co.ke at kictanet.or.ke] On
Behalf Of bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 9:09 AM
To: Michael Joseph
Subject: Re: [kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability-
CCKInternetStudyReport

Florence,
AfDB is locked into EASSy and has left other DFIs to finance Terrestrial
networks.  You are very right on the Government's involvement.  This is
the model that was followed by Sweden and as Alice noted, Malaysia.  To
be
honest the private sector in ICT sector has not lived up to the
expectations.  Check Mombasa Nairobi Fibre link where the prices are
still
over the roof yet there are two players there.  Does anyone need reason
why we need to have more players running on the Government built
network?
Our private sector must embrace low prices but high volume concept.
Think
of the idle capacity that lay on the route yet there is business.

Regards

Bitange Ndemo.

> Looks like we are looking to issues around the last mile for which a
whole
> mesh of possibilities, actors and services must be considered, planned
for
> and provided. If monopolies continue, forget lower prices and
> affordability!
> The governemnt is right in looking to provide the super  highway and
so it
> ought. And in doing so it is in its purview to take any loans from any
> development banks that it can get and at reasonably low interest
rates. My
> only concern is that the AfDB is nowhere in sight or is it? With such
high
> ROI on th continent from ICT investments as I am told where is the
AfDB
> playing? Some one pls tell me or indeed the national dev banks? Are
they
> any to speak of?
>
> O just for news; the Nigerian ICT community is celebrating the hand
over
> of managemnt of the top level domain name .ng to nigerians!
>
> Cheers from hot and humid Lagos,
> FE

The
> network is also capable of supporting extensive public, education and
> business applications". Beyond infrastructure, the Malaysian
government
> provides attractive tax incentives for world-class technology-led
> companies to participate in the MSC initiative. And most importantly,
it
> launched actions to provide a well-educated work force with relevant
> skill levels ranging from technical to research.
>
> I see nothing wrong with the Kenya government investing in
> infrastructure for public good, while private sector supporting this
> venture by perhaps focusing on the infrastructure as well, technology
> aspect, content, applications, skills, civil society assisting by
> ensuring there is demand at the local/rural level, etc
>
> The idea here being partnerships. We do seriously need to consider
> strategies for partnerships, which would involve leveraging the
creative
> potential of the different actors, allowing them to work on the basis
of
> both established as well as new roles and responsibilities. That
implies
> sharing of resources and responsibilities (sharing not shifting
risks).
> For this to happen there is need to ensure that there is sufficient
> mutual respect and trust between partners to enable them to work
together.

> (The above comments are is entirely personal and do not reflect any
> position of the organisations I am affiliated with)
> alice
>

> Kai U. Wulff wrote:
>> Well,
>>
>> If you tender the capacity you require in Garissa, we will quote a
price
>> and
>> commit a deployment of fiber.
>>
>> Kai

Behalf
>> Of
>> bitange at jambo.co.ke
>> Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 18:10
>> To: kai.wulff at kdn.co.ke
>> Subject: Re: [kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability-
>> CCKInternetStudyReport
>>
>> Dear All,
>> Please do not be misled.  The Government will never compete with
>> anybody.
>> All that is being done is to develop a platform where big and small
can
>> reasonably compete.  I think Kai is confusing Telkom projects and
>> Government infrastructure projects.  If the private sector indeed
wanted
>> to do infrastructure projects they will have done so but most private
>> sector have to have a business case first.  I wonder why Kai did not
do
>> the Garisa route first before heading to Uganda.  Please understand
that
>> Government has the obligation to provide infrastructure.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Bitange Ndemo.
>>

>>> My point is:
>>>
>>> Yu have limited room for infrastructure since the cost is constant
and
>>> only
>>> increased usage can drop the price. The Government should NOT be a
>>> competitor but a price sensitive user!
>>>
>>> You will have enough people now competing for the business of the
>>> Government
>>> and the private users .. That forces prices down. Having a state
owned
>>> cable
>>> or a state owned Telkom is in my opinion not the way forward.
>>>
>>> Rgds
>>>
>>> Kai

of
>>> regulation. TESPOK and others fought for years to introduce
competition
>>> which resulted in the current lower prices of internet and telephony
>>> services.
>>>

>>> The recent intervention of CCK on the pricing of mobile services is
>>> case
>>> that proves that price controls may become necessary to protect
>>> consumers.
>>> For internet services, we need many 'small scale' providers whose
>>> products
>>> and pricing would be more market-driven and responsive to
fluctuations
>>> in
>>> consumer needs.
>>>
>>> For instance, an internet user paying KShs. 6,000 per month for DSL
per
>>> month is actually incurring 14 cents per minute for a 30-day month.
>>> This
>>> is
>>> a great deal for any 24 hour user who may even make money through
such
>>> access to the internet. The same user would be said to incur 28
cents
>>> per
>>> minute if s/he were to use the link for an average 12 hours per day
at
>>> the
>>> same monthly rate. There may be a catch here but there is a high
>>> probability
>>> that more businesses can survive on such low rates and pass such
rates
>>> down
>>> to rural consumer.
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Wainaina Mungai
>>> http://www.madeinkenya.org
>>>
>>> SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the
>>> present
>>> without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their
>>> own
>>> needs.

>>> some

>>> and

The

Kenyan
http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kai.wulff%40kdn.co.ke

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/rebeccawanjiku%40yahoo.co

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http:/autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_y
lc=X

>>> 3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-]

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/wainaina%40madeinkenya.or
g]

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/feanywhere%40yahoo.co.uk