[kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability -CCKInternetStudy Report

jamesrege at africaonline.co.ke jamesrege at africaonline.co.ke
Sat May 5 21:58:34 EAT 2007

Walu, Your concern on affordability of internet access by rural communities
is justified.  I don't think fibre optics
(being a point-to-point) network can benefit a majority of rural
communities economically unless there is a seriously
subsidized provision of the last-mile network. Thousands of schools and
Government offices which are situated far
away from the fibre optics paths will never sniff the benefits of broadband
communications supplied through fibre
optics pipe. Fibre optics, microwave and satellite media always complement
each other, especially for restoration
purposes.  Kenya is lucky to have them all. Can Walu's concern be addressed
in all the cases?

On 5/3/07 9:01 AM, "John Walubengo" <jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke> wrote:

> Day 5- Statistics on Affordability.
>
> I acknowledge an interesting thread filtering in on Trust relationships
b/w
> IGOs/ISPs...feel  free to continue contributing on that as well as on
today's
> theme on affordability (multi-tasking
> encouraged by internet technologies ...)
>
> and just to pick up from Kai's projection of KDN fiber hitting Bungoma in
> early August 2007.  This would be quite a welcome and timely development,
but
> at what cost to the consumer? To  what extend will the (internet)
services be