[kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability - CCKInternetStudy Report

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 10:41:50 EAT 2007

Whao!

quite a burst of energy here.  Looks like the technical
holdup or hiccup brought the best out of some of us ;-)
Very important specifics/To-DO-Lists outlined here.
Including ofcourse the self-appointed CEO role...

walu.

<http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/03/45-of-europeans-watch-tv-online/>

<http://news.com.com/Facing+economic+realities+of+muni+Wi-Fi/2100-7351_3-6181058.html?tag=nefd.lede>
> [...]
> I'd like to shop
> at "Uchumi online")
> - get those satellite mounted tracks across Kenya
> educating
> - set-up sustainable small rural community networks and
> underserved
> urban areas>>residential
> - Give free/help public institutions and schools with
> website templates
> - Venture where no-one is looking (e.g. train senior
> citizens on ICTs use,
> Create SME portal and lobby government for "Universal
> Access" to business
> for small and disadvantaged businesses, say only 10% or
> shs 50 billion annual
> budget>> change public procuments act?)
> - User-centric, demand triggering active engagement with
> industry, government,
> well-wishers....
>
> Walu, do I have this hypothetical job?
>
> thanks
>
> Alex
>
> Fatma Bashir <fbashir at cyberschooltech.com> wrote: Joan,
>
> I dont have statistics but working in the education
> sector, I see what KDN
> sees in the schools, schools will be the incubation
> ground for the demand
> for ICT in the rural areas (60% of schools are in rural
> areas). In about a
> year and a half years time the picture will start
> changing as high school
> graduates will be computer savvy and naturally opt to
> continue pursuing
> interests ranging from search of opportunities for
> enterpreneurship to
> formal job hunting using the internet or just keeping
> intouch!.
>
> Further more when we look at schools and their
> facilities, they can easily
> become the information centres for the communities around
> them and also
> offer affordable capacity building to the parents of the
> students nearby.
> Then they will start to look for ways to make some money
> and the
> international/local content picture will start to swing
> in our favor.
>
> Imagine one day you will go online and order your chopped
> sukuma wiki and
> packet of carrots from the local mama mbogo outside your
> estate, she will
> deliver to your house you will pay her on your way back
> home or GOd knows
> even online?. its the form form leaver who will have
> designed the website
> for her and its the nearby school that will have taught
> her computer 101.
>
> whats missing is the segment that should be dealing with
> Capacity Building
> in an informal way or even sensitizing and awareness ( ie
> we dont have to
> attend college proper we can just go to the neighbourhood
> place and learn
> some basics) I think that this is where the Lag might be

=== message truncated ===>