[kictanet] kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability - CCKInternetStudyReport

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Sat May 5 10:39:56 EAT 2007

>"but if there is no demand for the internet among the residents what is the point?"
Maybe we need to look back at what models worked or failed at the turn of the millennium:

WHAT WORKED
In 1999, very few people believed there was enough demand to support 7 million enthusiastic mobile phone users in a country with less than 35 million people. The thirst for convenient communication services has proved overwhelming and is yet to be quenched. For the internet, the challenge is in creating an accessible network and making users connect at lowest possible set-up cost (just like GSM firms offer KShs. 2500 for mobile phone plus SIM). The internet services should also be modelled to meet varied user profiles (such as is the case with mobile service tariffs).

WHAT DIDN’T WORK
Low levels of internet usage may be blamed on lack of an accessible network (landline or otherwise). Telkom Kenya failed to connect hundreds of thousands of landline phone subscribers who would have become a pool of voice and data service users continually bringing in revenue. They are now aggressively selling CDMA solutions to increase users and make money from usage rather than connection fees. This is the same problem that KPLC created by failing to see the future demand for electricity and relying heavily ion connection fees instead of usage fees. They are only now racing with time for subscribers under the “Umeme Pamoja” and even reaching out to slum dwellers with special tariffs.

NETWORK OF USERS
Some ISPs realised rather early that the real value of their network is in the increased connections of paying users. To many of us, the demand for internet access in rural areas may not be directly evident for now. It may however be seen in the ‘thirst' for convenience, speedy communication and related value-added services. It may also be seen in the overwhelming demand for mobile telephony in the most remote and poor regions of Kenya. As has been stated earlier, we should not sell 'the internet' per se but should shift emphasis to the benefits of access for rural consumers especially the improvement of their quality of life.

2 cents worth...

---
Wainaina Mungai
http://www.madeinkenya.org

SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.