[kictanet] CCK urges more Internet access

gathuri njorohio gathuri_njorohio at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 11:07:00 EAT 2007

Hi All
  How can ISPS provide more internet access ?
  I believe this is a question that CCK need to answer.
  First the ISPS have allegiance to their shareholders to deliver some divinded
  Access to less lucrative markets will not be possible if the providers are not given adequate incentives.
  Let CCK and concerned ministry work and deliver investment incentives that will encourage providers tro venture in those areas without access outside Nairobi and mombasa.
  Awareness of the sdvantages of  internet in these areas need to be taken as a priority.
  Soon many organisations will embrace e commerce and internet will be a facilitator in rural economy.This will make the access to rural areas  a proirity.
  I still believe the Government should drive the access by PROVIDING THE NECCESSARY INFRASTRUCTURE and incentives the way it does with roads and water.

  Njorohio

"A. Wanjira Munyua" <alice at apc.org> wrote:
  It is a weird recommendation. Unless they have attempted to put it within
the context of universal access in practical terms. I do not see how
licensing additional ISPs would necessarily increase internet
access/usage/uptake

best
alice

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/alice%40apc.org