[kictanet] Privatisation the only way to keep Telkom afloat

A. Wanjira Munyua alice at apc.org
Wed Mar 28 15:20:37 EAT 2007

Privatisation the only way to keep Telkom afloat
Story by JAINDI KISERO
Publication Date: 3/28/2007

Finally, the Government has made the first step towards selling
Telkom Kenya to a strategic equity partner.

Last week, it circulated "a preliminary information memorandum" in
which it invited potential investors to put in indicative bids for a
26 per cent stake in the State-owned company.

I don't understand why this significant development was not announced
formally. I only came across the information from contacts in South
Africa.

Potential investors have been asked to respond by writing a brief
note to the Government confirming interest in buying Telkom.

The memorandum also contains indicative pre-qualification criteria
for the tender. For instance, the Government will only look in your
direction if you have an annual ICT turnover of $200 million.

YOU MUST ALSO DEMONSTRATE good financial standing, capacity to
invest, and a clear vision for a future Telkom Kenya.

In this initial stages, the Government is merely teasing the market
by collecting the feedback it will need when designing the actual
transaction.

According to the plan, an additional 34 per cent shares of the
company will be sold once the strategic investor comes in.

Where is interest most likely to come from? It is too early to
predict. Suffice to note, however, that these days, the biggest
players in privatisation deals in the telecommunications sector, or
infrastructure in general, have tended to be South Africans, Chinese
or companies from the Middle East.

For inexplicable reasons, the big European Telcoms have tended to
give the region a wide berth when it comes to such transactions.

Privatisation is a very painful thing. Indeed, many Kenyans will be
sent to the streets to pave the way for this transaction. The plan is
to bring down Telkom's 17,000-strong workforce to 3,200 ahead of the
transaction.

In an economy that has been losing formal jobs faster than it is
creating, where automatic graduate employment by the Government was
discontinued several years ago, the privatisation transaction is
coming at a high social cost indeed for the country.

Yet the case for privatising Telkom remains strong. If we choose to
protect jobs at the expense of restructuring, then the company itself
will not survive in future, let alone keeping the jobs.

Despite the fact that Kenya has experienced phenomenal growth in the
telecommunications sector, and that mobile companies have become the
most profitable companies in the country, Telkom is in dire financial
straits.

While the number of mobile lines have been increasing exponentially,
fixed line connections have fallen from a peak of 320,000 in 2002 to
under 280,000 currently.

Between 2003 and 2006, turnover has declined by an annual rate of
10.5 per cent. In 2003, the corporation returned a net loss of $27
million with the figure growing to $36 million in 2005.

The point is this. If we postpone painful decisions now merely
because we want to protect jobs, we will be left with a wobbly
company that will sooner or later find it hard to survive competitive
pressure from the more leaner and nimbler players.

Predictably, there will be voices who will oppose the deal on the
grounds that we should not sell what Harold Macmillan once described
as the "family silver" to foreigners.

I fail to understand why we tend to be obsessed with "owning" and
controlling parastatals while ignoring the fact that at the end of
the day, it is the quality and the prices of the services which these
utilities offer that matters to the ordinary Kenyan.

To the majority of citizens, the mere fact that the Government owns
100 per cent of of a parastatal matters little. In fact, our own
experience has shown that state ownership of these parastatals only
serves the interests of the political elite and their cronies,
providing them with the means of rewarding political loyalty and
allowing them to appoint their relatives to boards of these
organisations.

Privatisation is not popular in Africa because it removes parastatals
from the control of the ruling elite.

We all know how they make money from these institutions. There is,
for example, the award of lucrative contracts at inflated prices to
well connected merchants. And there is also the transfer of assets
belonging to paratatals (especially land and residential property) to
individuals.

IN SOME CASES, MINISTERS AND managing directors have committed
parastatals into massive investment into big capital projects of
doubtful economic viability such as sports complexes, staff housing
schemes, complete with nursery schools, games facilities and swimming
pools.

Ostensibly, this is to assist workers but, in reality, it is to
create kickback opportunities for well-connected contractors.

Left in the hands of ministers and politically-appointed directors
and CEOs, Telkom Kenya will not be able to raise money to finance new
investment or buy new equipment.

If privatisation and restructuring is implemented well, the large and
sick parastatals we see today can be broken up into several small
successful enterprises operating in a competitive environment and
providing wananchi with competitively priced services.

Mr Kisero is the managing editor of The EastAfrican.

http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry.asp?
category_id=25&newsid=94670

__