[kictanet] [Fwd: [Fibre-for-africa] Fibre optic delays cost 5000jobs a month]

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Tue Mar 20 17:27:40 EAT 2007

Kai said "Assume a 1 Mbps duplex Sat capacity costs USD 6 000 per
month (it is actually lower)"

Which country (s) have this cost?

Eric here

On 20 Mar 2007, at 20:01, Kai U. Wulff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As much as I agree that we need at least 2 cables, please see the
> following
> cost calculation:
>
> Assume a 1 Mbps duplex Sat capacity costs USD 6 000 per month (it is
> actually lower).
>
> Compression for good quality ranges from 8 Kbps to 16 Kbps, so
> let's take an
> average of 12.8Kbps
>
> So on one Mbps you can have a minimum of 80 calls or 4800 call
> minutes per
> hour. On a 20 hour operation this leads to 96 000 call minutes per
> day a and
> in a 30 day month to 2 880 000 call minutes per month.
>
> You communication cost per call minute = 0.14 KSH !!
>
> If you say your call centre is only loaded by 50% = a quarter of a
> KSH per
> call minute.
>
> What is the cost of electricity, labor, rent ... in perspective?
>

> I still believe we can build competitive call centers even on SAT
> basis!
>
> Rgds
>
> Kai

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"