[kictanet] Satellite technology to monitor elections

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 02:47:48 EAT 2007

Mamma Mia!

This means no ferrying of voters in trucks( at night?). Transporters job losses... ;-)

I learnt from the ARSK that there are always over  500 satellites hovering in
orbits above the earth all the time. Satellites have "night vision" capabilities.

Interesting reads on commercial spy satellites

1. "Orbit of change for satellite firms"  (2006) < http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/tech/article/0,2777,DRMN_23910_4373447,00.html >

"...companies are   building and preparing to launch new satellites capable of snapping Earth-based  objects 1 to 2 feet across in size."

 2. "Spy Satellite Image Business Booms", (2000)
< http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/business/commercial_remote_sense_000427.html >

/Alex

Story by NATION Correspondent
Publication Date: 3/14/2007

Cartographers have developed a modern satellite system to monitor elections.

As a result, the Electoral Commission of Kenya will this year assess the progress of the polls by tapping data and images from the American and Russian satellites in space and offer solutions to any hitches.

The technology, the first of its kind in Africa, will enable the commission to intervene in areas where problems might occur without necessarily travelling there.

Using the Global Positioning System (GPS), digital cartography and remote sensing, experts can provide solutions with mathematical precision in cases where ballot papers are delayed due to natural events such as floods.

The technology has been developed by the Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development, an international research organisation based in Nairobi

The centre provides surveying, mapping and remote sensing services. Speaking during the launch of Global Navigational Satellite System, a permanent reference station yesterday, Lands minister Kivutha Kibwana said systematic recording of information could promote effective decision making.

“Effective and efficient decision making and the planning and development of our resources requires fundamental map information collected and maintained in a systematic approach,” Prof Kibwana said.

The minister said the station would provide skills in satellite data processing and dissemination.

Survey boundaries

Prof Kibwana said Kenya tested the modern technology recently to survey boundaries of the newly created districts.

The technology can also help solve conflicts between countries over territorial boundaries.

“As we move closer to regional integration and adopt regional approach to peace and security, environmental management, trade and industry, our mapping coordinates must be harmonised to avoid conflicts,” said Prof Kibwana.

The regional centre was established in 1975 under the auspices of the United Nations Commission for Africa, which later became the Organisation of African Unity, today’s African Union.