[kictanet] promoting the ccTLDs

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:00:48 EAT 2007

I get your point bill, the only challenge is that East Africans haven't
embraced their local domains quite well, and it would be worth looking at
some of the reasons why this isn't happening, i get we lack the punch from a
political perspective "the najivunia kuwa mkenya thing", otherwise i do
agree with you, there is a significant market out there

On 6/22/07, Bill Kagai <mediacorp.research at mediacorp.co.ke> wrote:

> On 6/21/07, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I mean am trying to see the 'miracle' that .eac would do
> > for us in light of the trends suffered by the individual
> > .ke, .ug and .tz and I have not quite succeeded...plse
> > could somebody educate me?
>
> Am no expert by any means, but blue chips like Nation Media, EABL, KQ,
> etc all follow a common unwritten primacy.Their websites reside on
> [.com] and their email systems on [.co.ke].
>
> My inference therefore is that this is a volumes game and [.co.ke] can
> only make sense to 30+ million Kenyans which is insignificant in the
> global economy. Promoting [.co.ke] can only get you thus far and any
> campaign will only result in a storm albeit in a teacup. On the other
> hand, [.eac] gives us an opportunity to reach a critical mass of
> approx 110million (2% of the world population) and then we have a real
> chance of the world noticing East Africa. But again, I might be
> wrong!!

Barrack O. Otieno
Project Discovery
P.o. Box 21386