[kictanet] Sh1bn allocated to fibre optic cable project

Mr President njenga_mp at myway.com
Thu Jun 21 13:24:32 EAT 2007

Hi Alljust wanted to give my 2 cents on the budget and the 1 Billion for the Optical Fiber cable project,Now Now, what is the cost of the entire cable ?Is the amount allocated not a drop in the ocean ?Would an IPO, Bill Kagai has investment and stock figures, cant money be raised from the stock exchange? Or via Long term bonds?Reason for asking ??We allocate a drop hoping to fill an ocean, the funds have been allocated and put in whose bank? Earning interest for who ?Who will own the cable ? My concern when we last met, was ownership, management, cost to the user, Fatma Bashir was in Rwanda and she has some interesting news, they have a PLAN, do we ??We have some who as Kanja Waruru says, know not what an ipod is, yet we HOPE thet shall allocate funds forn CDF ??Now now , Guys lets get serious about things, what comes first the egg or the chicken ??The allocation of funds or rules, regulations, agreements on ownership etc, Bwana Ps Walu, made an impresive pion about different
options, let me recapsulate for allPrivate ownership and fundingGovt owned or TelcosUniverasal access for allThe west african module, which is a scam, or the East African module that is know only by a few ? My humble suggestion would be1: Waive all duty on Optical fiber passive and active components.2: Formulate a PLAN either using KICTANET, as non partisan, none players3: Organise workshops to create second tier awareness- from  Govt Ps 's  down- Bwana  Bitenge can lead by example.4: Prior to Digital Villages and  Submarine, Terrestrial  cabling, form a  PLAN that would harmonise the digitalisation to the benefit of all5: The world bank has given funding for digital villages, yet organisations are being asked to sponsor? Kwani  funds from world bank, had not feasibility study done? Even they don't PLAN ??Conclusion ?? If the 1 Billion allocated is 5 % of the total value allocated per annum, when will Kenya get the cable, not to mention the INLAND one, the lowering of costs
to consumers, the polytechnics, the BPOs and outsourcing and the much hyped but yet to be realised E Government, Learning, Medicine and everything E apart from the E which in this case stands for Electronic............Point to ponder as you all enjoy and have a blessed week end, and to Kagai Bill i feel you pain about the NSE rules, the according to the MD of Keroche Ms Tabitha, the current rgime seemds to favour foreigners/ Multinationals and sugar Importers who KNEW ther would be a waiver prior to the budget, to the detriment of the local sugar companies..WashindweRegards Njenga M.Pthose who fear to fail.will never try to succeded,for to fail to plan is to plan to FAIL