[kictanet] John Kerry - Broadband should be in every home

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 06:59:04 EAT 2007

[Incidentally, this has been the law in Kenya since KCA 1998 was enacted.

"Under sections 23 and 47 of the Kenya Communications Act of 1998, the Commission is required to ensure that communications services are provided throughout Kenya and that the interests of all users of these services are protected with respect to prices charged for and the quality and variety of those services among other responsibilities" http://www.cck.go.ke/consumer_center/

Q: Could the law have been violated? Nairobi with 90% of all internet, GSM duo,  tariffs above the roof, consumer complaints handling procedures, consumer associations support... The sum total points to "not so democratic" telecommunications sector. Beyond public relations spins, there is a need study what leaders and people in authority are practically doing to ensure the law is not broken any further]

-----

BROADBAND SHOULD BE IN EVERY HOME
 [SOURCE: The Hill, AUTHOR: Sen John Kerry (D-MA)]
 [Commentary] very important piece of public property is about to be auctioned off. You won't find it on a map, but it is prime real estate. And the sale of this property has profound implications for schools, businesses, emergency first responders, rural communities and the future of wireless communication and innovation in America. In the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum auction, the Federal Communications Commission will auction off an important slice of our airwaves. The FCC has a choice: It can either provide extraordinary benefits to millions of Americans or tilt bandwidth policy to line the pockets of a privileged few. The airwaves belong to the American people -- and their use should serve the public interest, not corporate interests. In recent auctions, the big communications companies actively used their bidding power to shut out new providers. As a result, these new companies faced near impossible barriers to entry in the wireless communications industry. What does this
 mean for us? Consumers don't enjoy the lower prices and better service that would result from more choice in the communications marketplace. The upcoming auction presents a real opportunity to promote economic competitiveness and address affordability and availability of important wireless services. The Internet and our airwaves are public property. All Americans should benefit from and be able to access it -- not just in revenues the government earns from selling spectrum to corporations, but also in expanded access to revolutionary new technology for every American. Our economy, our schools, our families and our first responders are counting on the FCC and conduct a fair auction in the spirit of competition and innovation that drives the Internet today. Previous generations ushered in new eras of economic progress with electricity for rural areas and a car in every driveway. In 2007 to stay competitive, we should strive to do the same with broadband in every home.
 http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/broadband-should-be-in-every-home-2007-06-13.html