[kictanet] REPORT on Completion of KICTANET Server.

Odhiambo WASHINGTON wash at wananchi.com
Tue Jun 12 19:31:12 EAT 2007

Hello Alice,

I have finally completed (I did it a few days ago) the server
installation and testing.

And I have put it online at Wananchi's co-location house. I do know that
you are still awaiting word from Joe about hosting of the server by
Wananchi. Let's just say I have used my position to get the server
co-located on the strength of the fact that Wananchi Online Ltd had
offered to host KICTAnet's services for free, and I had volunteered
to be the systems administrator for those. I hope Joe will be able to
resolve any issues when they arise, but I am almost 99% sure Wananchi
will not love the shame of bringing the server offline just because
the management changed.

The next step for me will be to setup the e-mail accounts for all
KICTAnet members that you'd think of, starting with the initial five:-)
Once the e-mail accounts are working, I will migrate the mailing lists
the way we had discussed before - LISTNAME at kictanet.or.ke will work,
and so is LISTNAME at lists.kictanet.or.ke - thus making the move
transparent to list members.

From that point, all that I will be left to do is the maintenance of the
server. We do not have a maintenance contract, but I guess that can be
handled later. I will simply continue performing my role to ensure the
services continue running.

Technically, the job is finished. What remains is showing the
secretariat how they will interact with the server.

This will then be followed by the website!
Now about the website, I am already working with two groups of people
whom I have informed that I MUST have a website up and running by end of
this week. I am having a meeting with them tomorrow and will update you
on the progress. At the moment, www.kictanet.or.ke shows "under
konstruction" (sorry for that:-))
I do believe I will break the Jinx.

PS: Evelyne, do you need anything else other than the above writeup as
being the report? If I need to include some details I have missed,
please let me know.

You may not be knowing this, but the new management of Wananchi Online
decided that I should be looking at other things, so they have laid me
off through redundancy. I am having my exit interview with Mr. Richard
Bell tomorrow morning. I will be able to know why he decided to take
this step (although I feel I know why, but what I know might be
different than what he had in mind). Everyone else has left. Why not me?
:-)
As such, my last official date of work was 7Th June 2007. This week is
mainly for clearance with the company, and I believe I should be done by
Friday, and gone....

I will still have considerable influence at Wananchi, especially with
the technical staff, because there are alot of things they still need
my help with, and that can only work by reciprocal arrangement.
So you should rest easy I will be able to handle matters with them.

Lastly, there is one request I need to make regarding the server:
When it was bought, it came with a monitor as well, but the monitor
is not at all required for the co-location of the server since the
server can run without any peripherals. I wanted to request you to
allow me keep the monitor. I only used it when I was doing the
installation and testing. I took the server to the co-location facility
and moved the monitor to my house, since I am already moving anything
that "belonged to me" away from the Wananchi's office in preparation
for the exit.
If this request might complicate any matters, then I am just too glad to
bring the monitor to KICTAnet's offices.

Best regards,

Odhiambo WASHINGTON.