[kictanet] Media Bill 2007.

mucheru at wananchi.com mucheru at wananchi.com
Mon Jun 4 10:54:17 EAT 2007

Bwana PS,

I have read today's papers and I do agree with you that we have everything
to worry about. This is particularly because in part I agree with the
newspaper reports regarding the Communications Amendment Bill. My fear and
worry is that this very serious matter is now going to be politicized and
we shall not have a soberly thought-out change in our laws.

I have to say as one who participated in the policy formulation process am
disappointed because most of the recommendations we made and agreed on
seem to have been left out in the gazetted bill and things we totally were
unhappy about were left in. Basically we have the original draft the
government gave without taking our views which we presented into account.
Let me give examples;

1) The definition of a broadcaster and broadcasting (page 1205) both
paragraphs are vague and ambiguous. Internet Protocol services can be
defined as broadcasting (or not). Laws need to be very clear. This has all
sorts of implications especially with the convergence of technologies.
Which licence an Internet service provider should get is not clear. Today
you can watch BBC and CNN news online. YouTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com )
and many other multimedia sites offer video and other services, Radio
stations and POD Casts are streamed online.  We raised these issues and we
were ignored.

2) Certification Authority (page 1236/7) - certification authority. This
is very useful for e-commerce and online trading. With the revised
legislation, Internationally recognised and globally accepted
certification authorities such as Verisign can only be recognised in
Kenyan law if they apply for a licence from CCK. E-commerce is also
international. This will put Kenya in an Island and with globalisation
this is not workable

3) On the top level domain (.ke) (page 1236/7) - Today CCK already
regulates KENIC through the sitting on its board and I do not see the need
for increased regulation. .ke is faced with competition from other domain
names and we must ensure regulation of the same does not discourage it's
use. Registrars locally are able to administer top level domains without
CCK and this will not change.

These are just a few points to explain my point - the list is not exhaustive

I would also like to go on record and state in summary that if the
Amendments are passed, am afraid the COST of regulation in Kenya will be
so high for example CCK will have the obligation to manage and determine
suitable content for the country. Secondly, the cost of monitoring and
storing all content in Kenya will not only be astronomical but I also
believe impractical and will create a significant "grey market"

So Bwana PS, what can be done to incorporate some of the recommendations
to the otherwise much needed Communications Amendment Bill.

--
Joseph Mucheru
mucheru at wananchi.com