[kictanet] Media Bill 2007 - where is the MOA Version?

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 16:06:51 EAT 2007

I invite comments on my proposed middle-ground:-

To alleviate plausible MOA fears of govt control of the media, and to ensure the media do not bombard consumers with self-interests, the Bill is amended to put consumers in control of the Council and government to fund.

An inaccurate journalist punished by consumers would feel less pain than that from government whips, consumers cannot be controlled by government with the mature media fraternity as the watchdogs.

Please critique.

Regards,

bitange at jambo.co.ke wrote: Dear All,
There is no MOA version.  The Bill you have was drafted by MOA in
Naivasha.  The Government in consultation with all stakeholders (at Kenya
School of Monetary Studies) inserted the implementation framework after it
became clear that no one wanted to fund the Media Council.  The Government
has never had any or has no intention of controlling media through the
Minister by making any appointment to the Media Council.  However, if
Government has to fund the Council then the Minister is accountable to
Parliament.  Therefore, whoever the Minister is at the time must make the
Council accountable to him/her.  There is no problem with the Bill to
blindly dismiss it.  The problem lies with the funding mechanism not the
regulatory content which indeed provide for self regulation.

Ndemo.