[kictanet] Media Bill 2007.

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Fri Jun 1 15:03:12 EAT 2007

Dear All,
If you read today's papers, you have everything to worry.  It is being
alledged that the ICT Bill is worse than the Media Bill and That
Government did not consult.  I know you all participated in many ICT fora
discussing just what is being criticised.  After the first reading we have
another go at it but not to kill it at inception.

I need not tell anyone that this Bill will unlock the ICT potential in
this country.  Where were these people when you sacrificed your time to
have a just legislation in place?

On Broadcasting, Kenya has one of the most liberal laws in place.  We have
tried to have a frequency in Britain, China, the USA on reciprical
relations in vain.  We toned down stakeholder's requirement on restrictive
cross media ownership by adopting South Africa Model but these people want
nothing but jungle laws in a democratic country.

Since you access internet, please check, there is no country in the world
that does not have some sort of media regulation.  In fact opponents of
these Bills should be asked to name at least one country that has no
regulation in media.

Regards

Ndemo.

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.