[kictanet] VoiP market dominated by big players

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 08:26:01 EAT 2007

BTW/I hope this is not the duo's proactive strategy to
lock out interconnection with our upcoming community
WiFi telcos? We intent to populate rural areas with IP
phones using Licence Free 2.4 and 5.8 GHz band
courtesy of CCK.

I shall reveal details at my CTO presentation here
<http://www.events.cto.int/default.aspx?event=crcafrica07>

[Business Daily]
<http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2196&Itemid=5810>
"VoiP market dominated by big players"
Okuttah, Mark
31-July-2007

--<snip>--
Recently, the CCK came up with the maximum amount
chargeable for voice interconnection.  The regulator
also asks companies to interconnect with other network
providers though it does not state how or how long an
interested party should engage the other.

Mr Nzioka Waita, the Legal Service Manager at
Safaricom, said the company is negotiating with seven
ISP providers on the matter and that sealing a deal
depends on a number of factors, including the traffic
volumes and quality of service.

“Some of the providers dump low quality VoIP services
on consumers, so why go through them if we are able to
secure the same deal with an international partner?”
he asked.

Mr Nzioka  says Safaricom’s capacity cannot allow it
to interconnect with all the players and was using a
first come first served formula, which is usually on
the basis of a nondisclosure agreement.

Celtel  Kenya  CEO  David Murray says while a number
of the ISPs have shown interest  in interconnecting to
the company’s network, most do not have independent
clients and can only act as agents.
<snip>