[kictanet] It's a new twist for Econet Wireless

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 12:58:14 EAT 2007

--- bitange at jambo.co.ke wrote:

> Dear Mr. Theuri,
> Whereas you may be having more information than we
> do, it may be prudent
> for you to spill out the beans for the world to
> know.  It is pointless to
> implicate the Government if you cannot substantiate
> your claims.

Dear Dr. Ndemo, this is anti Freedom of Information
and Expression, reminiscent of dark KANU days "Mtu
ingine inasemasema serikali ...."

"A basic principle behind most freedom of information
legislation is that the burden of proof falls on the
body asked for information, not the person asking for
it. The requester does not usually have to give an
explanation for their request, but if the information
is not disclosed a valid reason has to be given."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act

The onus is on the government to prove propriety in
their action, NOT to ask the person seeking the
information to substantiate, given the vast government
machinery and that whatever government "disclosure" is
made is usually inspected for "correctness".

I fear the government will continue treating individul
citizen's request for information like "responding to
a mosquito bite with a canon fire."

We need FOIA that compels every PS to disclose, not to
suppress citizen's access to information right.