[kictanet] Fwd: [ke-internetusers] ALERT! Storm Worm:Worst Virus Attack In 2 Years

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 11:53:59 EAT 2007

[Last week I got quite a number of these messages and
I got quite suspicious having read, 3 days earlier,
how
the FBI planted bugs by tricking users to compromised
site.YOU MAY AVOID CLICKING FUNNY ENTICING EMAIL
LINKS]

[WIRED]
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2007/07/fbi_spyware
FBI's Secret Spyware Tracks Down Teen Who Made Bomb
Threats

--Excerpts--
FBI agents trying to track the source of e-mailed bomb

threats against a Washington high school last month
sent the suspect a secret surveillance program
designed to surreptitiously monitor him and report
back to a government server, according to an FBI
affidavit obtained by Wired News.

The court filing offers the first public glimpse into
the bureau's long-suspected spyware capability, in
which the FBI adopts techniques more common to online
criminals.

The software was sent to the owner of an anonymous
MySpace profile linked to bomb threats against
Timberline High School near Seattle...

..the spyware program gathers a wide range of
information, including the computer's IP address; MAC
address; open ports; a list of running programs; the
operating system type, version and serial number;
preferred internet browser and version; the computer's
registered owner and registered company name; the
current logged-in user name and the last-visited URL.

The CIPAV then settles into a silent "pen register"
mode, in which it lurks on the target computer and
monitors its internet use, logging the IP address of
every computer to which the machine connects for up to
60 days.
----

[WWWhatsup NYC]
http://www.informationweek.com/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201200849

Storm Worm Erupts Into Worst Virus Attack In 2 Years

Storm worm authors are blasting the Internet with two
types of attacks, and both are aimed at building up
their botnet.

By Sharon Gaudin
InformationWeek
July 24, 2007 04:19 PM

The Storm worm authors are waging a multi-pronged
attack and generating the largest virus attack some
researchers say they've seen in two years.

"We are basically in the midst of an incredibly large
attack," said Adam Swidler, a senior manager with
security company Postini. "It's the most sustained
attack that we've seen. There's been nine to 10 days
straight days of attack at this level."

Swidler said in an interview with InformationWeek
that the attack started a little more than a week
ago, and Postini since then has recorded 200 million
spam e-mails luring users to malicious Web sites.

Before this attack, an average day sees about 1
million virus-laden e-mails, according to Postini.
Last Thursday, however, the company tracked 42
million Storm-related messages in that day alone.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Postini researchers were
predicting they would see that day between 4 million
and 6 million virus e-mails -- 99% of them associated
with the Storm worm.

While the number of spam e-mails has dropped
significantly, it's still far above normal levels, so
Swidler isn't ready to say the attack is over.

The viruses are not embedded in the e-mails or in
attachments. The e-mails, many of them otherwise
empty, contain a link to a compromised Web site
where machines are infected with a generic downloader.

This helps pull the computers into the malware
authors'
growing botnet, while also leaving them open for
further infection at a later date.

"This is designed to add computers to the botnet,"
said
Swidler. "That's first and foremost their goal." But
the Storm worm authors aren't contenting themselves
with this one attack vector.

Paul Henry, VP of technologies with Secure Computing,
said in an interview that the electronic greeting card
spam scam that the Storm worm authors launched early
in July is stronger than ever. He noted that a friend
of his has a company with 100 users and they're being
hit with about 300 e-card spams every day.

"Back in December, we saw a huge spike in e-card
spams because of the holiday," he added. "We are
at the levels we were seeing back in December right
now Most security professionals thought it would show
up for Independence Day and then fade immediately,
but it's been escalating for the last few weeks. It's
definitely a pain point."

Again, the e-card spam message, which install rootkits

in the infected computers, are working to build a
botnet. Henry could not say if it's the same botnet as
the other messages are building.

"I have seen thousands of these e-mails since
Independence Day. It's got to be working for them or
they wouldn't keep doing it," said Henry.

Just a few weeks ago, the Storm worm authors began
trying to trick users with fraudulent e-mails warning
unsuspecting users about virus or spyware infections.
Users around the world were receiving spam messages
claiming that viruses or spyware had been detected on
the users' systems. It was another attempt to lure
users to malicious sites where their computers could
be infected.