[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Kenya's state-owned telecoms operator goes mobile

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sat Jul 21 11:43:54 EAT 2007

Dear Mr. Theuri,
The Government has not been deprived any revenue here.  If you remember
sometime last year the Regulator encouraged operators to pilot Broadband
in the Mobile Telephony after which each are to pay for the 3G
frequencies.  The piloting period is not over yet and we all are looking
forward to the new fee.

Thanks for your alertness.

Regards

Bitange Ndemo.

> Telkom is a licenced operator using fixed wireless technology. The key
> word
> here is fixed. On the same argument if the 'true mobile' operators want to
> obtain 3G and 3.5G frequencies the regulator has a duty to ensure that the
> government is not deprived of much needed revenue by holding a competitive
> tender or auction for the 3G frequencies which have fetched hundreds of
> millions of dollars in other African countries.
>
> ----------
> https://www.ntra.gov.eg/english/News_NewsDetails.asp?PID=36&ID=94
>
> Vodafone Egypt have agreed to pay LE3.34bn (US$584m) + 2.4% of total
> revenues as a licence fee for 3G spectrum. Vodafone Egypt recently
> declared
> an annual turnover of LE6.8bn and revealed that approximately 22%
> (LE1.5bn)
> of this will be Free Cash Flow.
>
> However, it is not as much as the third player, Etisalat, agreed to pay
> LE16.7bn (US$2.9bn) for a 2G/3G licence which was equivalent to 3.4% of
> Egypt GDP.
> ----------
>
> It is indicative that at least one mobile provider has indicated that it
> is
> already using such technology, which per their original GSM license (Annex
> A) is not catered for. What payment if any has been received by the
> commission on behalf of the government for these frequencies by the mobile
> operator and for the issuance of a new 3G licence? I am certain that TKL
> has
> met its licence obligations and thus is a bonafide operator, secondly TKL
> holds a licence that allows it to provide these services nationwide in
> addition to its basket of licences. If the TKL's competitors want to
> demand
> that TKL pay fees for a licence (which it already has) then they should
> similarly be prepared to pay licence fees after competing in a tender to
> be
> able to operate 3G networks.
>
> Mike
>
> On 7/20/07, Joseph Okech <okechukwu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think Telkom goes mobile is a problem & its never about
>> competition,
>> the problem is with the regulatory infrastructure in place to be
>> honored,
>> that is if all mobile operators have to pay a mobile license, then all
>> have
>> to pay a mobile license without any exceptions. If all mobile service
>> providers are to pay VAT and exercise duty, then this has to be across
>> the
>> board.
>>
>> rgds,
>> Okech
>>

>> On Thursday July 19 2007 21:38:48 Mike Theuri wrote:
>> > "Competition is healthy. If other people complain, they should know
>> that
>> > Kenyans
> [...]

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.