[kictanet] Fwd: [Fwd: Safaricom intimidating media...]

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sat Jul 21 11:34:23 EAT 2007

Dear Mr. Theuri,
Your allegations:

"That foreign entity is again in the news as a mysterious deal has been
worked out with the regulator and the government disregarding a court ruling"

These are sereous allegations implying irregularity on our part when the
facts are that it was prudent to extricate the Government out of the many
legal battles by Econet that could potentially cost the Kenyan tax payer
an enormous amount.  There cannot be a court rulling baring the Government
from making prudent decisions.

In my view you are mixing issues of Econet vs KNFC and Econet vs CCK. FYI
there is no matter in court yet this issue continue to hurt our image as
an investment destination. What we dealt with yesterday were two cases
instituted by Econet against the Government and the then Minister for
Communications.  If you read carefully the Times story you are referring
to, it has nothing to do with the actions we took.  Econet still has to
contend with the shareholding issue and meet CCK conditions.

Whatever the background of Econet, we must follow the law and it cannot be
right that we see that law through your lenses.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Bitange Ndemo.

which one can
> read about
> below.
> Walu,
>
> Actually the story came from the Media Institute and was shared on various
> Kenyan
> discussion groups and I was only passing it on. I'm not related to Alex
> Gakuru but
> its likely we may find ourselves working on the same or similar issues or
> we
> may
> even have differing views.
>
> Some of these corporates have been harassing members of the media. It was
> only a
> year or two ago where a corporate entity was noted by a Minister for
> passing
> brown
> envelopes in return for favorable stories or wielding influence in such a
> way that a journalist
> who had exposed the entity's activities was summarily dismissed by his
> boss
> via sms when
> he was away on leave. Fortunately the journalist was vindicated when his
> boss got the boot
> and he was reinstated.
>
> That foreign entity is again in the news as a mysterious deal has been
> worked out with
> the regulator and the government disregarding a court ruling which one can
> read about
> below. It was the

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.