[kictanet] ICT Bill - wish list, Day 4 of 4.

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 13:47:46 EAT 2007

Italian parliament bets house on SuSE Linux
Two-year switch to begin in September
By Gijs Hillenius:
Thursday 12 July 2007

<snip>
ITALY'S parliament is about to undertake Europe's
largest governmental migration yet to open sauce.

The IT department of the Italian parliament presented
plans on Wednesday to begin migrating some 3500
desktop PCs, including those of its 630 MPs, away from
Windows to SuSE Linux starting this September. The
Camera dei deputati will also run SuSE on all of its
two hundred servers.

This makes it the second and largest parliament in
Europe to choose open sauce. The French parliament,
with 577 seats, voted last year to have open sauce
installed on all of its 1145 PCs. France decided on
Ubuntu this February and the migration in the
Parliament should be underway.
<snip>

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=40957

<http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1916&Itemid=5810>