[kictanet] [africa-oped] Telkom’s growth is stifled by fraudsters colluding with staff

Lizette Kraft lfkraft at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 17:04:01 EAT 2007

Hi Robert,

Kindly note you stated that Mr. John Waweru the Head of Telkom  -   Mr. John
Waweru is the managing Director of CCK and not Telkom. He WAS the MD but was
moved to CCK. Mr. Sammy Kirui is the MD of Telkom now and WAS the MD for CCK
initially. They were swapped around..

I guess you know that already?? and this was an oversight??

On 7/12/07, Robert Alai <alai.robert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike and Kenyans
>
> Thanks for the contribution. I request you to log online on
> http://www.petitionspot.com/signature/TELKOMKENYA
>
> Robert
>

> On 7/11/07, Mike Theuri <mike.theuri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >    This article appeared in 2005, but it becomes very relevant when it
> > appears that there is a sudden and
> > urgent rush to quietly privatize TKL by selling it to foreigners, while
> > "restructuring and preparing" TKL for
> > that process at taxpayers expense, a tax burden that future generations
> > of Kenyans will still be paying
> > with nothing to show for. The problems that TKL has are self created,
> > they can be fixed and TKL should
> > not be sold at such a throw away price that is hardly sufficient to
> > cover the debt that has been and which
> > additionally is likely to be transferred to the taxpayer. For those
> > reading it is now 4 years to date since
> > the secret dossiers mentioned in the article were written and no
> > prosecution or conviction has taken
> > place:
> >
> > http://www.eastandard.net/archives/sunday/hm_news/news.php?articleid=14743
> >

> > Self-inflicted woes
> >

> > Telkom's growth is stifled by fraudsters colluding with staff as
> > competition
> > bites, writes Gordon Opiyo.
> >
> > Top officials of Telkom Kenya are involved in fleecing the cash-strapped
> > company
> > of billions of shillings, according to independent investigations by the
> >
> > Communications Commission of Kenya.
> >
> > According to confidential reports prepared by the regulator, Telkom
> > Kenya failed
> > to take advantage of the five-year local and international fixed line
> > calls
> > monopoly due to collusion between the employees and an international
> > syndicate
> > of phone companies.
> >
> > In the estimation of then Transport and Communications minister John
> > Michuki,
> > Telkom had lost over Sh120 billion in the previous seven years due to
> > these
> > leakages.
> >
> > Yet the minister failed to stop the syndicates, and appeared to have
> > acquiesced
> > to them or become hostage. The company now has to grapple with tough
> > competition
> > after the end of the exclusivity status in June, last year, with about
> > 10,000
> > employees set to lose their jobs through an impending retrenchment
> > exercise.
> > While Telkom Managing Director John Waweru says the company has nothing
> > to hide
> > and is willing to co-operate with any investigators, indications are
> > that there
> > are still too many untouchables fleecing the parastatal.
> >
> > Information and Communications Permanent Secretary, Mr James Rege, plays
> > the
> [...]

Lizette Kraft
P.O. Box 18488, 00500
Nairobi, Kenya