[kictanet] Digital Saba Saba Wish List, Day 1 of 4

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:04:00 EAT 2007

Thanks Walu and Alex for Prodding us to take initiative, i have had a look
at the bill, in as much as it is broad i want to beleive its time it was
taken forward, given that the ICT environment is dynamic it may as well be
rendered obsolete before it is passed if the long wait continues, my only
concern is are the people who are going to pass it (Hon Members) into  law
conversant with ICT's? or will it just be passed kama kawaida, bwana
Moderator kictanet should facilitate some sensitization program for the
waheshimiwas before they pass the bill before it is Mutilated, Bwana PS what
is your take on this?

On 7/9/07, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> I do appreciate u must be fatigued by the discussions on
> ICT bill because we have gone over and over it a thousand
> times.    But here is how I propose we do it since we only
> have this week to review and am sure most of u have not
> reviewed the bill document ;-).
>
> The document has sevaral main components as listed below
> (not in any priority).
>
> 1. Issues of the Regulator (setup, operations, board
> appointments, etc)
> 2. Telecoms & Radio (setup, operations, licensing,etc)
> 3. Postal Services (setup, operations, licensing,etc)
> 4. Information Technology Sevices (setup, operations,
> licensing,etc)
> 5. Broadcast and Media (setup, operations, licensing,etc)
> 6. Universal Service Fund (setup, operations)
>

> So, the wish list Alex was asking for is basically u saying
> what u would like to see taken care of under the above
> topics (we shall find out for u if it is catered for in
> bill on not). Tell us also what u would NOT like to see as
> well. I hope that should be a lot more simpler, plse start
> shooting (typing) your wishes in any order...
>
> As an example, my 1st wish is on the Regulator, how I wish
> the Director General could be nominated by the President
> but vetted and appointed by Parliament.  More like the
> format used to arrive at the the Directors of KACC, Kenya
> Anti Corruption Commission...(that was easy, right?, start
> hitting your keyboard now and not tomorrow)
>
> walu.
>

> --- Alex Gakuru <alex.gakuru at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Today is Saba Saba day - a good day to liberate ICT
> > Law and reclaim our digital future. The greatest
> > liberation you could give every Kenyan today is a
> > compact ICT Law!
> >
> > I usually complain about mobile operators, but today
> > it's only in the "mobile blame" aspects. I would like
> > to elaborate courtesy does not permit...remember we
> > are online here...and I have to be courteous
> > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
> >
> > But unfortunately, migratory blame does not address
> > unsolved needs of the abandoned plains, terrain, flora
> > and fauna and our baby ICT ideas risk forever being
> > bottled inside of us.
> >
> > Our Wish List is still very necessary; at the very
> > least, to strengthen "inclusion" principle. Remember
> > also that it is non-committal, and no body will you or
> > get offended by an innocent wish list from KICTAnet?
> > KICTAneters who say all sorts of things?
> >
> > But seriously, this is a very import moment in the
> > history of our country and if we get the *wrong* ICT
> > law sailing through parliament while watching
> > helplessly, we shall do so much irreparable damage to
> > ourselves for a very long, long, long time.
> >
> > Be empowered, speak-up, and pour your hearts out. Let
> > us share our ideas how we expect ICT Laws to be ensure
> > justice in the e-space. Just remember that it is only
> > a wish list and we shall ask them ALL to check if your
> [...]

Barrack O. Otieno
Project Discovery
P.o. Box 21386
Nairobi 00100