[kictanet] CCK (NOT) Preaching Wine & Drinking Water

Michuki Mwangi michuki at kenic.or.ke
Thu Jul 5 10:27:37 EAT 2007

John Walubengo wrote:
> Michuki can correct us if we are wrong...but my
> understanding is that ALL .KE (i.e. including ccc.go.KE)
> would sit in the kenyan domain or name space...

This is the case, hence the domain name resolution process for any
domain name in the .ke, .com and .net is done locally at the KIXP.

> So I am thinking Yawes Traceroute interpratation is wrong.

Yawes traceroute is right, the website is actually hosted on a server
sitting in the US (not the UK as per the IP resource allocation). And
the interesting part is that the server bears a hostname .ke meaning
that its a local organization that has provided the solution/package.

> Probably, he would have said that from where he is sitting
> (assuming his desktop in Kenya) his traffic had to go out
> of the country and then back in, before it landed on the
> CCK website.  Which is very possible depending on how his
> ISP has routed his traffic _ particularly if the ISP is not
> connected through our KIXP (Kenya Internet exchange point).

That is usually the scenario when one is not peering at the KIXP. But in
this case, the hosting is actually being done in a data center in the US.

> So I am willing to bet my pension that ccc.go.ke is on
> kenyan soil.

I think you just lost your pension Walu :) ... but maybe we can invest
it in a collocation/data center facility and make you the CEO :)

On serious note there is a dire critical need for cheap colo in this region.

--
Michuki Mwangi
KENIC