[Kictanet] Day 4 of 10: What are the Existing/Sugested legalandregulatory framework for OFC?

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 16:55:40 EAT 2007

Found an answer to my own question <<was it Brian who
talked about emailing instead of talking to oneself?>>  -
anyway...The proposed regulatory framework for EASsy (which
purportedly is going the Open Access way) seems to be
covered here....

~~~~00-copied below---

East Africa: EASSy Project Model Approved
Thursday, 22 June 2006
All countries participating in the development of the East
African Sub Marine Cable System (EASSy) have now agreed to
implement the project on an 'open access basis,' overcoming
a hurdle that had initially threatened to derail the
project.
The Policy and Regulatory Adviser of Nepad e-Africa
Commission, Dr Edmund Katiti said that the South African
government and Nepad's ICT experts had persuaded the
countries that were objecting to the change in the project
to realise the limitations of the consortium model which
they had preferred.

The EASSy project involves laying of a fibre optic cable
from Mtunzini north of Durban, through landing stations
along East Africa to Port Sudan. The cable will link with
the countries' national networks at the landing stations.
Others would subsequently be interconnected through the
networks of landlocked countries like Uganda, Rwanda,
Burundi and D.R Congo.

When the project was first conceived, it was to be
primarily a private sector project. The core investors in
the cable infrastructure would determine the retail prices
of bandwidth. The project was to be owned and operated by a
group of companies that would generate financing; an
arrangement known as the consortium model. The South
African government and Nepad have recently argued that the
consortium model would not achieve the objective of the
project – bringing down the costs of communication in
the region. They suggested that the model be altered to
"open access", where any operator or institution in the
participating countries would be allowed to acquire equity
if it can afford the agreed contribution.

In the open access model, the cable would be owned and
operated by the Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), a company
created to manage the network and establish the price of
bandwidth. An Intergovernmental Assembly is to be formed to
regulate the costs that the SPV would charge operators.
Rwanda will host the headquarters of the SPV in part as
recognition of their commitment to the development and
promotion of ICTs in the country.

After the agreement reached earlier in June, the Nepad
e-Africa Commission is working towards the signing of a
protocol that would form the legal framework of the EASSy
project. The Commission has already prepared a project
plan, which it has sent to the member governments to review
and comment, a process that take until August, when the
protocol signing is anticipated. Construction is expected
to commence by the end of 2006.

Katiti said they hope to raise a quarter of the funding
from equity acquisition payments by companies from the
region and then raise the remainder from African financial
institutions: African Development Bank, Comesa's PTA Bank,
East African Development Bank and others.

Source: The Monitor - WDR/Intelecon Regulatory News
http://www.regulateonline.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=780&Itemid=32&relaItemid=877

walu.