[Kictanet] Fw: [Fibre-for-africa] Join KICTAnet's online discuission: What isthe best model for providing the Fiber Optic Submarine Cableto East Africans?

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Thu Jan 25 20:51:48 EAT 2007

Badru, i could pay a dollar for that if you had some resonance on the
other side of the coin where the private sector due to a lot of the
factors we know cannot do this ALONE?

Eric here

On 24 Jan 2007, at 19:16, Badru Ntege wrote:

> I think we all know "who shot EASSY". it was politics and egos
> which have never been good bed fellows. The guilty parties that
> pulled the trigger are kenya and South Africa though the jury is
> still out on this. Then along the way came some other characters
> who used the impasse to get some free publicity (we all know who
> they are ). when time to pay up came they all disappeared and guess
> who is suffering.
>
> If government's and Nepad want to be in please consult the
> community, lay the law and rules of engagement and stay away. then
> next should be those who have the pockets to come in and build the
> fiber.
>
> I mean at the end of the day business rules will kick in and
> eventually the price will come down. If government wants to
> intervene to bring costs down then give the businesses an incentive
> to offer good pricing, maybe tax waivers etc.
>
> Lets forget the nice world in the clouds where everyone has access
> and buys at the same price etc. Some things need to be given time
> to develop naturaly.
>
> Many things and services in all our walks of life are built by
> private entities some are closed clubs and others are open. that is
> a business decision.
>
> Forget open access and all that baloony, all those consultants who
> were singing all this nice to the ears stuff are back sitting
> behind there 10mB links costing them a few dollars while we are
> sitting on our 16k 32k links moaning EASSY.
>
> Bottom line allow the operators to build the cable
> Set operating criteria and acceptable pricing levels
> Government concentrates on facilitating internal networks to Rural
> communities
> Encourage the production of local content
> Put in measures that will create demand and thus market forces to
> bring the prices down.
>
> my 2 cents
>

> gathuri njorohio wrote:
>> Hi All
>> The EASSY cable implementation seems to be stalling due to
>> disagreement on financing and the way to operate and manage it.
>> The Eastern african countries will continue being overcharged for
>> their international traffic when they pass through satellite due
>> to lack of this cheap way of carrying traffic through the
>> submarine cable.
>> We are aware of the regional economic bodies that are mandated to
>> promote trade between the countries and I suggest that they should
>> also invest in ICT .COMESA and SADC are the bodies catering for
>> trade in south and eastern Africa.Why can't they take the
>> opportunity to invest in this cable so that it can benefit the
>> countries they are serving.
>> A company can be formed answerable to these two bodies for the
>> installation , maintenance and operation of this cable.
>> The western africa and central africa can do the same for the
>> western cable link.
>> The existing cables can continue to give redundancy for the new
> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
ICT Consultant and Journalist
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"