[Kictanet] Why do we need International Optical Fiber Connectivity?- 1 Day Discussion

Brian Longwe brian at pure-id.com
Thu Jan 25 15:47:34 EAT 2007

This is belated - I've been tied up in knots bringing better ICTs to
Kenyan companies ;-) but since I'm a bit stubborn - I'll put in my
say anyway:

In my honest opinion (IMHO for the uninitiated) I would say we need
international optical fiber connectivity for one v. simple reason:

COMPETITIVENESS

we cannot overlook the fact that our products and services face
severe challenges when meeting other countries and regions in the
marketplace. This is because the cost of production is excessively
high due to many factors, one of which is communications, which in a
very sneaky way drives up the costs of all the other factors. (I
guess that's why it is sometimes referred to as a cross-cutting factor).

As long as we cannot approach the global marketplace from a strong
competitive position - we shall remain in the doldrums as a country
(and region). This is v. sad because not only do I believe but I also
know that we have v. much to offer. Both in terms of products as well
as export of services over telecoms infrastructure.

Brian

On Jan 23, 2007, at 5:02 PM, joseph kihanya wrote:

> Walu.
>
> If you can sell a  good thing in few words it is a  good thing.
>
> here goes...
>
> Fibre  is  simply  demonstrably an economically and environmentally
> "good" thing!
>
> Capacity- wise and futuristic use is guaranteed.
>
> Lets just say,its very hard to argue against, given the options.
>
> QED
>
> Kihanya

>>> extension