[Kictanet] [AfrISPA.Discuss] Interesting trend with African-led ICT investments

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Mon Jan 15 18:51:48 EAT 2007

May be the prophecy that Ethan Zuckerman made when i spoke with him @
Berkman last summer is coming to pass @ http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/
blog/?p=1003

When asked about the currrent invasion of Africa by Chinese and Asian
companies, Ethan turned the question on the head to beat the rhetoric
by saying "wait till African begins to invade the rest of the world
and that is certain and may be the last invaision". We went ahead to
pronounce some of our mutual agreement of areas where Africa is
leading the rest of the world "Asked about uniquely African
innovations in telecoms, I offered four areas where I thought
Africans were leading the rest of the world:
- Narrowband - innovative connectivity solutions that use very little
bandwidth, like the Ghana “Javelin” project, or Fidonet nodes in
Zimbabwe

- Localization - Translation of open source software into a wide
variety of languages, especially through the help of organizations
like Translate.org.za. Localization of software for challenging
environments in projects like Ubuntu.

- Radio - Use of community radio for information dissemination,
integration of data and radio in projects like Geekcorps Mali.

- Urban wifi, with huge wifi networks in Accra, Bamako and other
African cities.

Eric here

On 15 Jan 2007, at 11:36, Brian Longwe wrote:

> I am extremely impressed and encouraged to see Wananchi online's
> bid to takeover African Lakes and all their holdings which include
> all of Africa Online's branches as well as a number of
> infrastructure and internet licenses across the continent. Could
> this be the emergence of a truly African Mega-ISP?
>
> Considering the attrition that the ISP industry is facing continent-
> wide, which was very aptly commented on by Russell Southwood in his
> article "The African ISP is dead - Long live the African ISP" where
> he spoke of the encroachment of the mobile operators into internet
> services and the threat that this posed to the ISP as we know it
> today. In this article he clearly indicated some of the survival
> strategies that ISPs would have to consider, including
> consolidation, divestiture into other revenue generating areas e.g.
> content production and regional expansion. It is interesting to
> note that Wananchi seem to have taken the prescription wholesale
> and are aiming to act on almost all of these areas.
>
> For me on a personal basis I am very happy to see an indigenous
> African-led transaction of such magnitude in the ICT sector - which
> has in the past been dominated by "foreigners" who didn't really
> understand african markets. I can't wait to see what else Wananchi
> have up their sleeves!
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Joseph Mucheru <mucheru at wananchi.com>
>> Date: January 15, 2007 9:23:47 AM GMT+03:00
>> To: "brian at inhand.co.ke" <brian at inhand.co.ke>
>> Subject: FW: Press Announcement
>>
>> From: Wananchi Online Ltd <announcements at wananchi.com>
>> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:42:06 +0300
>> To: <All_Wananchi_Online_Ltd_Customers at wananchi.com>
>> Subject: Press Announcement
>>

>> Wananchi Online creates a new Group Structure
>>
>> On 28th December 2006, Wananchi Online together with a group of
>> Kenyan,
>> British and American investors announced its intention to acquire the
>> entire issued and to be issued share capital of the African Lakes
>> Corporation (TALC). TALC is the holding company of Africa Online
>> Limited
>> and UUNET Africa. The success of the acquisition will see the
>> creation
>> of Africa's largest consumer broadband company and goes a long way in
>> achieving Wananchi's vision of being "Africa's leading Internet
>> Communications Provider". The bid is being made through a special
>> purpose vehicle registered for this purpose in the UK, The African
>> Telecoms Company Limited.
>>
>> The full text of the announcement can be found at this url:
>>
>> Short Url:
>> http://urlx.org/londonstockexchange.co.uk/fd1e5
>>
>> Long URL:
>> http://www.londonstockexchange.co.uk/LSECWS/IFSPages/
>> MarketNewsPopup.aspx?id
>> =1372930&source=RNS

> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"