[kictanet] Elections take center-stage on the internet

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 14:50:20 EAT 2007

I actually came across a very interesting link....in regards,with this
matter....

http://www.mambogani.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6273

They key part,being:

Folks,

A few days ago, some sick nuthead, whom we suspect is a NARC-K sympathiser,
or perhaps the latest government project, using mwaikibaki at yahoo. com
address, discreetly sent e-mails to individuals who are known to support
ODM-K, especially in Washington DC. The e-mails simply notified them of the
following websites: Kalonzofoundation. org. and odm-kenya.org. Clicking on
the Kalonzofoundation. org URL re-directs one to the Raila2007.com website,
with the top browser bar showing a message that reads: "Kalonzo backs
Raila". Clicking on the odm-kenya.org URL re-directs one to a Kenya
government website. But a quick check reveals that neither
kalonzofoundation. org belongs to Hon. Kalonzo Musyoka Foundation, nor does
odm-kenya.org belong to ODM-K. Needless to say, the fraudsters are
attempting to hoodwink Kenyans into believing a lie. This is only a sick
prank, as none of the genuine websites have been hacked.

The fact is, the correct website for Hon. Kalonzo Musyoka is:
www.kalonzomusyokaf oundation. org, while ODM-K's website, which is not
fully developed is: www.odmk.org. None of these websites were hacked. The
Standard's headline, unfortunately, is misleading. The pranksters simply
registered variations of the names of the said organizations and re-directed
any queries to Raila2007.com, and to the government website respectively.
This is not the same as hacking. Anyone with a website can re-direct their
URLs to another website. It doesn't take half-a-brain to do this.
The pranksters simply juggled the names and registered them. The jargon for
this kind of registration is "cyber-squatting" . People register names with
the hopes of cutting a cash deal with the real owners. In most cases, all
the squatter needs to cough up is only $10.00 to register a domain name.
It's as cheap as $2.00 with other companies. These particular dunderhead(s)
registered these names with the following internet domain registrar:

DomainsByProxy. com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
Phone:+1.4806242599

Registration details:
Admin Email:KALONZOFOUNDA TION.ORG@ domainsbyproxy. com
Tech ID:GODA-116462376
Tech Email:KALONZOFOUNDA TION.ORG@ domainsbyproxy. com
Name Server:NS3.SECURESE RVER.NET
Name Server:NS4.SECURESE RVER.NET
Admin Email:ODM-KENYA. ORG at domainsbypro xy.com
Tech ID:GODA-122841719
Tech Name:Registration Private
Tech Organization: Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy. com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
City:Scottsdale
State/Province: Arizona
Tech Postal Code:85260
Country:US
Phone:+1.4806242599
FAX:+1.4806242599
Email:ODM-KENYA. ORG at domainsbypro xy.com
Name Server:PARK9. SECURESERVER. NET
Name Server:PARK10. SECURESERVER. NET
All the compainant needs to do is contact the company and file a complaint.
The culprit will be smoked out and taken to court. The FBI has been on the
trail of such obscure websites, some of which are used by terrorist
organizations to convey coded messages. It will only be a matter of time
before these ones are smoked out.

The purpose of this infantile prank was of course meant to have the Kalonzo
and Raila camps go after each other's throats. What's surprising is the
shallow and very un-sophisticated manner in which it was played. It would
have been laughable had it not for the fact that many gullible Kenyans will
be hoodwinked into believing that this was actually the work of one ODM camp
against another. It would do us all good if the Standard corrects this
flawed perception that they have created. I think the newspaper should have
first done a thorough investigation before splashing such a misleading
headline.
Whatever the case, the pumbavus will never succeed, and the sooner they
realize this the better. Fortunately, those who received the e-mails saw
through the sick jokes and decided to ignore them.
We hope other Kenyans will equally treat them with the contempt they
deserve.

Very Best regards

J Sang.
Washington DC
============ =

Kind Regards,

On 2/22/07, Bill Kagai <billkagai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I have received a fone call from an ODM supporter wishing to find out why
> their website www.odm-kenya.org is pointing to a government website. This
> poses a serious challenge to us in the 'internet business' with regard to
> whether we have secure systems in place.
>
> However, upon digging a bit deeper, I have realised that possibly, this is
> a simple blackmail prank since the WHOIS records have not been altered and
> only the MX record has been changed to point the website to an innocent Govt
> server. Tracert'ing the address also shows that it is the admin and
> registrant of the website who have access to the odm website registry. I am
> sure many ODM supporters might be pointing a finger at Govt just because
> someone managed to ping the communications website and put the server
> address on the opposition website to create a furore and possibly make money
> Pablo Escobar Way. [Plata o plomo] Spanish for [silver or lead] literally
> meaning pay up the bribe or face assassination.
>
> How do we contain these Matheri's of the internet???. Seems the games have
> just begun???

> With Kind Regards,
> Bildad Kagai
> MD - Circuits & Packets Communications Ltd
> Content & Training Partner - JKUAT E-Government Academy
> Suite B2, Tetu Apartments, State House Avenue
> P. O. Box 20311 - 00200
> Nairobi, Kenya
> Tel. 254 20 272 8332
> Fax. Rendered Obsolete
>
> URL. www.circuitspackets.co.ke
> URL. www.JKUATEgovAcademy.ac.ke

Judy Ann Okite,
+254-721237507,+254-734252336
P.O. BOX 2228 00100,
NAIROBI,KENYA.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just
sit there."