[kictanet] Blogger jailed for 'insulting' Islam

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 09:47:55 EAT 2007

I think that this should fall under the 'cyber crime space' in the
Policy,baring in mind that its not only the journalists who are
bloggers.......anyone can do a blog! Insult suparsess,freedom!

Just a thought.

Kind Regards,

On 2/23/07, Rebecca Wanjiku <rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> An 'interesting' story here about an Egyptian blogger who has been
> jailed. Raises those nagging questions about just where we should stop
> as journalists in the exercise of our freedoms, and when authorities
> need to control what they term 'harmful' writings. But perhaps this
> should be of particular concern given that this wasn't a mainstream but
> an online missive by a blogger, which represents a growing interest by
> the state in what people do in what bloggers otherwise consider their
> private spaces in which they would want to freely express themselves
> with as minimal interference from authorities as possible.
>
> Wakabi
> =====
>
> Blogger jailed for 'insulting' Islam
>
> Fri, 23 Feb 2007
> An Egyptian blogger was sentenced to four years in jail on Thursday for
> insulting Islam and defaming President Hosni Mubarak, triggering
> condemnation from international human rights groups.
>
> A court in the Mediterranean costal city of Alexandria sentenced Abdel
> Karim Suleiman to three years for insulting Islam and to one year for
> defaming the president.
>
> This was the first time a blogger has been sentenced in Egypt for
> writings published on the Internet.
>
> Suleiman has been in custody since November 2006 and his trial started
> on 25 January. He denied all the charges.
>
> The 22-year-old blogger, also known by his pen name Karim Amer, was
> arrested after posting an entry on his blog lashing out at Cairo's
> Al-Azhar University — the highest seat of learning in Sunni Islam.
>
> "I say to Al-Azhar and its university and its professors and preachers
> who stand against anyone who thinks differently to them: 'You are
> destined for the rubbish bin of history, where you will find no one to
> cry for you, and your regime will end like others have," he wrote.
>
> Despite worldwide appeals for his release, the court ruled that the
> young Muslim blogger should be jailed for posting a string of writings
> insulting Islam.
>
> "The Moharram Beik criminal court has sentenced the blogger after he
> created a website through which he attacked Islam," Judge Ayman Okkaz
> said.
>
> "On his site, he claimed that Islam incited terrorism, hatred and murder."
>
> The conviction was based on a series of vaguely worded articles in the
> penal code that forbid the spreading of false information, insulting
> Islam or other revealed religions, and "affronting the President of the
> Republic."
>
> Fellow blogger and rights activist Dalia Ziyada told AFP that Suleiman's
> defence team would lodge an appeal on Saturday.
>
> Crackdown on political bloggers
>
> Egypt recently launched a crackdown on political bloggers, who rose to
> prominence by challenging Mubarak's regime during the 2005 elections and
> more recently by highlighting cases of police brutality.

> [...]

Judy Ann Okite,
+254-721237507,+254-734252336
P.O. BOX 2228 00100,
NAIROBI,KENYA.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just
sit there."