[kictanet] Elections take center-stage on the internet

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:02:47 EAT 2007

Hiya,

I have received a fone call from an ODM supporter wishing to find out why
their website www.odm-kenya.org is pointing to a government website. This
poses a serious challenge to us in the 'internet business' with regard to
whether we have secure systems in place.

However, upon digging a bit deeper, I have realised that possibly, this is a
simple blackmail prank since the WHOIS records have not been altered and
only the MX record has been changed to point the website to an innocent Govt
server. Tracert'ing the address also shows that it is the admin and
registrant of the website who have access to the odm website registry. I am
sure many ODM supporters might be pointing a finger at Govt just because
someone managed to ping the communications website and put the server
address on the opposition website to create a furore and possibly make money
Pablo Escobar Way. [Plata o plomo] Spanish for [silver or lead] literally
meaning pay up the bribe or face assassination.

How do we contain these Matheri's of the internet???. Seems the games have
just begun???

With Kind Regards,
Bildad Kagai
MD - Circuits & Packets Communications Ltd
Content & Training Partner - JKUAT E-Government Academy
Suite B2, Tetu Apartments, State House Avenue
P. O. Box 20311 - 00200
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel. 254 20 272 8332
Fax. Rendered Obsolete