[kictanet] Day 4: What Data should be exempted from the Act (access) &

Brian Longwe brian at isisweb.nl
Mon Feb 19 08:40:06 EAT 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:54 AM, joseph kihanya wrote:

> Even if it can be shown that disclosure of the information would
> cause substantial harm to a legitimate aim, the information should
> still be disclosed if the benefits of disclosure outweigh the harm.
> For example, certain information may be private in nature but at
> the same time expose high-level corruption within government. The
> harm to the legitimate aim must be weighed against the public
> interest in having the information made public. Where the latter is
> greater, the law should provide for disclosure of the information.

Who is responsible for determining the "weight" of a disclosure, and
whether the legitimate aim is heavier than the public interest? Have
we made provision for an ombudsman to make such rulings fron an
entirely neutral standpoint?

Brian Longwe					+254(0) 20 445 2327 - t
Chief Executive Officer			+254(0) 722 518744 - m
InHand Limited					+254(0) 733 518744 - m
M3, Westlands Court,			+254(0) 20 374 7881 - f
Westlands Close, Westlands Rd.	www.inhand.co.ke
P.O. Box 30054-00100			SIP: 30753274 at sip.epygi.com
Nairobi, Kenya