[kictanet] Day 3: What Policies should inform the FOI?

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Thu Feb 15 08:25:29 EAT 2007

Agree with Rose.
The right to information is the bedrock of all other human rights. The
United Nations recognized this in 1946 when the General Assembly resolved:
"Freedom of Information is a fundamental human right and the touchstone for
all freedom. In its most basic form, a right to information ensures the
people of a democracy: they have the right to demand and receive information
from their government and place an additional obligation on the government
to pro-actively disclose key information to the public. It also allows
citizens to secure information from private bodies where it is necessary for
the protection or exercise of their rights. It is an excellent tool in the
fight against corruption and provides a mechanism for deepening the public's
engagement in development activities and to meaningfully engage and
participate in democracy.

So we should.no.must consider the proposed policy within a broader human
rights framework.

Best

alice