[kictanet] Day 1: Why Freedom of Information (FOI) Act? AND Day 2: What are the current modalities for accessing data

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 09:20:19 EAT 2007

Hi again,

- Bloggers must be given special protection because they offer checks and balances to government (e.g. corrupt officials) and corporate excesses (e.g. Working in chemically unsafe conditions, factory workers lock-ups and fires strike...)
- Most importantly,  FOI(A) must criminalise  communication censorship.
- Lawful interception of communication is separate from censorship.
- I personally know too well about unexplainable technical "glitches",
often used as a back door to isolate "dissident" voices.

Consider below possible cases:

 - Your current ISP(government-related or otherwise) just decided that your continued use of their services was detrimental to their bottom line.

 -They cannot officialy terminate your link ( "legally" if that exists ), therefore they intemittently disrupt the service till you get frustrated and look for another? How many other options do you have?

- Unless these are prioritised, then we may have a wonderful Act , but just on paper.

Consorship  is a very serious threat to communication users ( see Chinese case below)

/Alex

>For information:
>
>The Internet Society of China (ISC) is not currently affiliated in any
>way with ISOC.
>
>> Careful of what is done in your name:
>>
>> Internet Society of China recommends ban on anonymous blogging
>> http://www.ifex.org/20fr/content/view/full/78548/
>>
>> Français: La Société Internet de Chine juge l'identification des
>> blogueurs "inévitable"
>>
>> Country/Topic: China Date: 24 October 2006 Source: Reporters
>> Without Borders (RSF) Person(s): Target(s): web dissident(s)
>> Type(s) of violation(s): other Urgency: Bulletin
>>
>> (RSF/IFEX) - RSF has voiced concern about a recommendation by the
>> Internet Society of China, which is affiliated with the Information
>> Ministry, that bloggers be required to register under their real
>> names when creating a blog. The call came just weeks after
>> authorities in the southwestern province of Chongqing announced
>> that anyone posting "defamatory" videos on the Internet would be
>> punished.
>>
>> "The blog services available in China are already closely
>> controlled," RSF said. "They automatically filter sensitive content
>> and moderators are told to warn bloggers who go too far. Despite
>> these restrictions, the Chinese blogosphere is growing rapidly. But
>> that could be brought to a complete halt by a rule ending anonymity
>> for bloggers. In a country where you can spend 10 years in prison
>> for a few messages posted on the Internet, keeping a political blog
>> under one's own name would be extremely risky."
>>
>> The Internet Society of China announced on 23 October 2006 that,
>> although no rule had yet been established, the introduction of an
>> identification system was inevitable. Internet users would have to
>> give their real names when launching a blog but thereafter would be
>> able to use a pseudonym, the society said.
>>
>> Voicing support for this proposal, the official news agency Xinhua
>> said, "bloggers anonymously disseminating untrue information on the
>>  Internet give a negative image of Chinese society."
>>
>> A regulation adopted in Chongqing province at the end of September
>> 2006 stipulated that defamatory remarks posted online would be
>> punishable by a fine of 5,000 yuans (about 500 euros) and even
>> imprisonment in some cases. The regulation is aimed, above all, at
>> preventing the circulation of satirical videos, which are becoming
>> more and more popular on the Internet in China.
>>
>> "The government has become a master in the art of regulating new
>> technology," RSF said. "Each time a new Internet tool becomes
>> available, the authorities find technical and legal means to
>> control it. Websites and chat forums were the first to suffer from
>> Beijing's censorship. Now it is the turn of blogs and online video
>> exchange systems."
>>
>> China, which now has about 130 million Internet users and more than
>> 17 million bloggers, is also the country with the most
>> highly-developed human and technological resources for censoring
> [...]

Rebecca Wanjiku <rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com> wrote:
 there are no laws guarding issues such as chief or police asking for your ID, they say they want to know if one is kenyan or not or if one is a wanted criminal or not...
 the closest we came to dealing with this as i can recall is the IPPG document which said one does not have to walk with the ID, it was however not made law and therefore no mechanism for enforcement.

 going to sheria house for info.....hmm that is debatable in regard to confidentiality, i think we have a right to est who owns what, but again this is subject to abuse,
 the case of logbook information given by times tower suffices, crooks were using the information provided to forge logbooks and sell non existent vehicles,
 so there need for information that can be supplied, maybe minimal information should be provided and like in the Google/Earthlink case, they should define what is minimal information....to make sure we all secure somehow..

 about the speeches being posted on respective websites, that will reduce the amount of requests and make sure all ministries update their websites....